Xmf

craignhp

We're having XMF installed the week of January 12th. I understand we're either the first or one of the first in the US to get this. That's a little scary although it's been in Europe and Australia for quite a while. We've been running EFI's Velocity OneFlow for about 6 years and we're anxious to automate things a bit more.

Craig

Hi Craignhp

We have had XMF 1.5.8 installed for about 3 months and I must say although it has some good features - APPE ripping is very fast - Handling of Transparency and Layers is good, but we have had quite a few problems - the client crashing, the interface not viewing correctly which has been very frustrating. We were using ApogeeX which was much better and if our upgrade to XMF 2.0 does not solve the problems we have had we will be looking going back to Agfa or somethng else.

I would be interested on how you get on. I have been looking for a forum on XMF and this is the first I have seen.

Xmf

We'll be installing 2.0, so I'll let you know how it goes. I'm keeping our current workflow running just in case.

Thanks,
Craig

XMF and "known problem"

XMF and "known problem"

Hi Craignhp

We have had XMF 1.5.8 installed for about 3 months and I must say although it has some good features - APPE ripping is very fast - Handling of Transparency and Layers is good, but we have had quite a few problems - the client crashing, the interface not viewing correctly which has been very frustrating. We were using ApogeeX which was much better and if our upgrade to XMF 2.0 does not solve the problems we have had we will be looking going back to Agfa or somethng else.

I would be interested on how you get on. I have been looking for a forum on XMF and this is the first I have seen.

I spoke to a techrep who says they had huge problems with client crashing unexpectedly with version 1.5. Local distributor would not even install XMF during the fall untill this was fixed. Which it reportedly is in version 2, we will soon know, our installation begins Monday...

Xmf 2.0

Xmf 2.0

We have had XMF 2.0 installed for a couple of weeks now and the client is still crashing. We have had 15 crashes between 2 mac's in the last week and although 15 crashes is about a third of what we were getting with XMF 1.5.8 we have not been as busy as before XMF 2.0 was installed.

Anyone else still having this problem with XMF 2.0

Luke

We have had XMF 2.0 installed for a couple of weeks now and the client is still crashing. We have had 15 crashes between 2 mac's in the last week and although 15 crashes is about a third of what we were getting with XMF 1.5.8 we have not been as busy as before XMF 2.0 was installed.

Anyone else still having this problem with XMF 2.0

Luke

Which machines are you using? We´ve just installed on some G5s and some IntelMacs and we have crashes, maybe once a day, with the G5s. IntelMacs haven´t crashed yet.

We are using 3 Macs:

G5 Dual 2Ghz, 2GB Ram Crashed on XMF 1.5.8, but no crashes so far on 2.0

G5 Dual 2Ghz (slightly later G5 than Above, 2.5 GB Ram - crashing on both versions

Intel 2.8Ghz Dual Quad Core, 4GB Ram - Crashing both versions.

Also still getting a lot of preview problems, and a new one in XMF 2.0 - Some Imposition templates made in XMF 1.5.8, when opened in XMF 2.0 the paper size is not centre on the plate as before.
Have you had this or any other problems?.

Luke

We're getting an occasional crash on both the G5 Mac and the Intel Mac. Stable on the Windows machines. Fuji knows it's an issue and I guess they're working on it.

Xmf 2.0

Xmf 2.0

Unsing XMF since september last year. Upgraded from CelebraNT to XMF. Quite a change!
Very fast and the update from 1.5.x to 2.0 helped us get rid of several issues.
Using XMF 2.0 for a few months now. Win-clients stable. Mac-clients unstable and very unstable if you try to work on impositions.
We get a lot of trapping errors. It can happen that a sheet, that was rendered the first time without problems, after a re-render command fails with a trapping-error. Just re-rendering the same sheet without editing anything mostly resolves the problem.

I'm new on this forum and like to exchange information with other (xmf)users.

Henk

Had my update to 2.0 last week, and we have the same problem, pages are no longer centered on the plate. I think it's a bug in the update. Everything is running more stable though.
We've updated every client machine to the newest leopard version and apart from an occasional client crash, everything runs smoothly.
Henk, had the same problem concerning the trapping issue, fiddling with the trapping settings helps...

Imposition / Proofing / Gotcha's ??

Imposition / Proofing / Gotcha's ??

Hi Luke, Craig & Hans,

I'm currently running Fuji's CelebraNT RIP and wanting to move to a APPE based workflow. Some queries regarding XMF:

1. What imposition app are you running?
I'm currently using PREPS, which I've been using for years and REALLY like, so I'm reluctant to move away from.
1.1 Does the XMF imposition have a "Smartmarks" feature similar to Preps?

2. What proofing solution are you using?
I'm currently using BlackMagic. Again, alot of time and effort into configs, calibrations etc.

3. What are the "Gotcha's" of XMF?
Client stability appears to be one!

Cip3 generation performance is an issue with CelebraNT as every other process has priority over it, is Cip3 generation fast in XMF?

Thanks in Advance.

Matt.

Last edited:
Matmac,

Re :
1. In XMF, impositioning is done inside the xmf interface, in my opinion it works a bit like the dynastar impo.
1.1 I don't realy know what smartmarks are, but custom marks can always be put in your markslibrary.

2. also proofing is set up in the XMF flow, you can choose from a lot of standards. We are using a HP5500 just for prepressproofing, so just drafts. For us, this works just fine.

3. Coming from a trueflow workflow, it didn't take long to catch XMF, but I can imagine that, coming from preps and going to a ticketbased pdf workflow can take a little longer...
We're not having a lot of big issues on the client front, when you move along with the updates on the system you're working on (in my case Leopard), and the XMF updates, al should be fine.

CIP3 is coming along with your ticket, just define a connection to your press and it works, I'm using it towards a Ryobi 520 GX and it works fine.

Hi

We used preps before and after 2-3 days xmf is just fine smart marks is no problem the have a similar feature, so dont worry.

XMF new user

XMF new user

Hi..I buy a Luxel CTP system with XFM Workflow used...the problem is that I don't have the manual of this workflow or files in PDF to see how in works or learn to use.

I appreciate if you can help me....if you have some files in PDF to read about how can use or work this workflow..

thanks..

Unsing XMF since september last year. Upgraded from CelebraNT to XMF. Quite a change!
Very fast and the update from 1.5.x to 2.0 helped us get rid of several issues.
Using XMF 2.0 for a few months now. Win-clients stable. Mac-clients unstable and very unstable if you try to work on impositions.
We get a lot of trapping errors. It can happen that a sheet, that was rendered the first time without problems, after a re-render command fails with a trapping-error. Just re-rendering the same sheet without editing anything mostly resolves the problem.

I'm new on this forum and like to exchange information with other (xmf)users.

Henk

There is no PDF files/manuals on XMF, or very few, should I say. All the help is online. If you go to the ? mark in XMF it will give you all the details. I do have some notes that I could send you if you want to give me your email address.

Manuals Help..??

Manuals Help..??

Thanks for you answer....

My email is [email protected].

I check the the mark on the XFM program, but appears a message that says: "can not connect to the server." I don't know if I need install something or maybe the help is not installed.

thanks..

There is no PDF files/manuals on XMF, or very few, should I say. All the help is online. If you go to the ? mark in XMF it will give you all the details. I do have some notes that I could send you if you want to give me your email address.

You need to go to your ConfigTool. You will see that there is something called JDF Web. Open it up. Have a look at what it says in the block that says "Server Name". Your computer name must be in there. If it is not, find out what your computer is called and copy it in there. Start your XMF server and it should be OK.
I will send you what I can.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back