XMPie query regarding variable images...

brockp28

Hey,

I'll get straight to the point :)

I have 7500 names, with 7500 pictures of each person.

The pictures can be named the same as the file name to do this if you like...

Just wondering how I can get this to work? I need XMPie to be looking at a particular folder, compare |->First_Name & |->Last_Name fields with the name of the image, and use that image in the document for that particular record.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

if I understand you corrrectly, you wish to add a photo of each person to a personalised print page.

Put the images into your assets folder, or just a sub-folder from where the main .indd document resides. Create a new content object of type 'graphic' with the qlingo source:

|->[First_Name] + |->[Last_Name] + ".jpg"

That is, if your images are jpegs named in this format.

Create a blank graphics frame in indesign, give it focus & double click the content object from the fields list.

You can edit the "Dynamic Graphic Properties" for the graphic to handle dynamic sizing / cropping issues.

All the above is for CS2, but the later editions should prove similar.

Hope this helps.

Thanks so much Brett. I've only really dealt with uDirect and the standard text and visibility types, so knowing how the graphic function works is good :)

Thanks again!

You don't actually need to specify the file extension. Leaving it off gives you flexibility to change or have multiple image types. XMPie supports multiple image file types and the documentation will tell you the hierarchy order in which they are handled.

t.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back