XMPie uDirect Conditional Formatting

Ok. I've tested the variable image method and this is quite close to what I want. However, I still get blank boxes in places the data is empty. Please see attached Sample2.jpg.

you will if all you did was replace your "1" with the name. if you look at my example, I have each item as an independent list. Where there are no "blank" fields in between. if you have the blanks like this example:
Milk - Blank - Fish - Eggs
you will still get the blank boxes.
But if you have them like this:
Milk - Fish - Eggs - Blank
They will fall where you want them to.

Aw! Sorry, I misread your previous post about how the data should display. It is doubtful I can convince them to re-arrange data such that no blanks or empty fields would appear. I will check with them just in case...

Let me know how you make out with the if/else option.

what about opening the CSV in a text editor, and doing a find change?

Replace all ",0," with ","

Then process the merge.
--> Using the file names I mean. Although, that is assuming that these items are at the "end" of your row. Otherwise it would mess up your columns. but if they are at the end, it should work. It should just see the missing bits as "empty". If XMpie is having problems accepting the modified CSV, open it in Excel and resave after making the changes. Excel I KNOW doesn't have a problem with it, and resaving will put the missing fields back in for XMpie. And then have your Qlingo look for either "0" or empty cells to place the "blank.tif"

Last edited:
Hi,

Yes, I was able to get the merge to work once I moved the filenames next to each other. Doing things this way will require a script or macro to re-arrange the data accordingly. However, I have not heard back from my client to see if they can either replace 1's with filenames or remove 0's in the data.

You also recommended the location of the filenames be placed at the end of the data. I will suggest this as well. One would think XMPie could have made the variable Graphic technique work similar to variable data which would eliminate these additional steps.

Thanks, I appreciate you suggesting this work around solution to our problem.

Best regards,
Greg

Last edited:
otherwise, you can open the data in excel and just manually move them to the end.

Ideally, but how would they script the software to delete unused picture boxes and move others around to be in position?

Not sure what they do behind the scenes but if it worked like variable data, the picture box would not be necessary or only created when a filename and image can be found...

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back