XP SP 2 Connecting to OS X Box

oloye

We have a Mac serving as a server for our RIP and windows 2000 as workstation, a collegue of mine suddenly upgraded the workstations to XP service pack 2 and we cannot send files to the RIP machine, does anyone knows how i can reconfigure the workstations?

The obvious and possibly fastest way: uninstall SP2.

If that is not an option (we are up to SP3 now!) you should try and figure out what exactly does not work:

Do you copy files into a hotfolder on the server and this mapped network drive does not longer work?
I seem to vaguely remember that SP2 introduced the default of encrypted passwords for network access and that before that XP would send plaintext passwords. Google for "network passwords SP2" to find the registry settings that will allow XP to use plaintext passwords again.

Do you send files to your RIP by using a print driver?
No idea here, but may be the same as above as networked printing uses the same authentication as file shares.

Is it a standalone application that communicates with the RIP directly?
That application may now be blocked by the firewall which is installed and activated by default on SP2.

I would advise to talk to your RIP's service and ask them what could be causing this, too.

Hmmm,

Win2K to XP? Win2K is a server OS which had a lot of support for various services the XP, which was more of a workstation OS didn't. This could be part of the problem. Also, what version of Mac OS are you using? The problem could be there as well.

Just a couple of ideas to chew on.

How was the W2K sending files to the Mac RIP? Printer queue or Hot Folder? What RIP is it? (Harlequin??) What protocol was being used to send / print files? What version of Mac OS is the RIP running? MacOS 9 or X.

If the RIP was accepting files / printers via AppleTalk this may be the reason. W2K offers "AppleTalk" as a networking protocol that is not (to my understanding) available in XP, the rip may require queues to be reconfigured for a different protocol. (Ie. TCP/IP port or LPR).

More information needed on the RIP config to assist further.

Matt.

i would say its a networking issue. run the file and printer sharing wizard. On xp home the file sharing is turned off by default. so the firewall may not allow transfer in the same manor as before. turn off the firewall.

if it is an apple talk issue you may need to install the appletalk protocol. check the ms site for the instructions. also upgrade to xp professional may help.

i would say its a networking issue. run the file and printer sharing wizard. On xp home the file sharing is turned off by default. so the firewall may not allow transfer in the same manor as before. turn off the firewall.

if it is an apple talk issue you may need to install the appletalk protocol. check the ms site for the instructions. also upgrade to xp professional may help.

You need a third party solution, such as PCMacLan, if you want appletalk on XP. MS completely abandoned it.

Another option (besides spending money) is configuring the RIP using TCP/IP instead, if possible.

The Appletalk issue was what I was somewhat referring to in my initial response. However, if you're running OSX (any version) on the Mac, you probably don't need to be using appletalk but can use IP. So you need to get the IP address of the device/RIP and point the printer port or hot folder to that instead of an appletalk name. No need to use PCMacLan in this case.

Good luck.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back