zahn cup reading for fountain solution

amomtaz93

Hi everybody:

Could any one tell me what is the ideal zahn cup reading for fountain solution in case it is the right way to measure the fountain viscosity..........

Thanks.

Zahn as mentioned is for aqueous. Cant ever see a reason to measure viscosity of water. You measure conductance and PH for fountain solution

Thanks for your reply friends but 2 days ago i read that we can measure the viscosity of fountain solution using zahn cup...!! So i am asking....in case any body sure it is not right....Just tell me

The serious answer is you do not read fountain solution with a zahn cup. If you take water and add fountain solution to it the water bead is still the same thickness as just water without fountain. You measure fountain solution with a conductance meter and with a ph tester.

Hi everybody:

Could any one tell me what is the ideal zahn cup reading for fountain solution in case it is the right way to measure the fountain viscosity..........

Thanks.

Conductivity and pH is the way to "Measure" fountain solution, using a Zahn cup is just plain silly, it serves no purpose. I have never heard of such a thing in 30+ years LOL

Not as silly as it sounds, just the Zahn cup is not the correct instrument. Viscosity is a valid and measurable property of fountain solution, but there is little reason for anyone other than someone formulating fountain solution products to bother with it.

The Ostwald flow viscometer is the right tool for the job and they are not expensive or difficult to use.

You can use a needle less syringe to check surface tension of the FS, Depending on how big the orifice is and how many m.l.'s you drip it is easy to keep track of sub levels

Sorry to derail, but on a lighter side - I was working with a new lab tech when a batch of blue came in the QC window too dirty(too much black). I asked him to go in the solvent room and get me the dirt extractor. He was gone for a half hour. LOL.

Issue is the viscosity range which can be measured by the Zahn.

A #1 Zahn range is 7.5 to 60 cps. The viscosity of water at room temperature is about 1 cps, IPA about 2. If the fountain solution is lower in viscosity than 7.5 cps, the Zahn won't be able to give you an accurate reading.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back