Zero Set Ink Duct Profile

Alois Senefelder

Hello fellow Lithographers,

Erik Nikkanen ask the question about accurate - Zero Set Ink Profiles, so what method or procedure do you

use to achieve a Zero Set Ink Duct Profile ?

Regards, Alois

I'll start the discussion and hope others will too.

As I mentioned in another post, doing a more accurate zero setting reduced our set up waste by about 20%. Our web press was a Chambon press and the inks were EB inks. The new procedure that was used that resulted in the savings unfortunately is not applicable to most other presses. I will go into the background of this.

The Chambon press had a continuous ductor. It was a knurled roller. When engaged there was a gap between the ink fountain roller and the continuous ductor of about 4 to 6 thou (0.004 to 0.006"). So if the ink key gap was less than this value, no ink was transferred to the ductor and no ink could return to the ink fountain. The ink fountain was a Solna ink fountain with a continuous (wavy) blade.

The original zero setting procedure was to print 20% bars across the web and adjust the ink key mechanism so that the bars printed evenly. This was not a true zero setting method but it was all that was available.

A colleague of mine, named Frank Assinck, came up with an ingenious method to zero set that ductor arrangement. There were two specific and important features to his method. They were:

Zero setting was not done by running any paper. It was all done by actions done on the print unit.

First, the roller train was cleaned of ink. With a clean roller train, it was easy to see when ink just started to transfer to the ductor roller. The software zero set position was used and then the mechanical setting of the relative position of the ink key was gradually increased until ink started to transfer. Then the mechanical setting was backed off very slightly.

As other ink keys were zeroed in this fashion, ink starts to build up on the rollers. The second important feature of this method is that the roller train clean up unit is left on press and periodically engaged to clean ink off the roller train. This ensures that all keys tend to get a more consistent zero setting.

Besides the immediate reduction in set up waste, this procedure could be done at any time, by the operators, if they thought that there was a problem. Simple, quick and effective.

Unfortunately, I don't see any way that such an effective method can be done on presses with conventional ductors. There is a point where if the ink key is more open, ink goes into the press and if the ink key is more closed, the ink returns to the ink fountain. That zero point where no net amount of ink goes to the press varies and is hard to determine.

I will be interested to see if some people have some clever ways to zero set ink keys on press with conventional ductors. I suspect most ignore this important issue since it is quite hard to do on their presses.

Last edited by a moderator:
On Heidelberg CPC ink fountains, first potentiometers are removed from the ink zones to be zeroed. Then set the mechanical adjusters to zero position. Then install back potentiometers and then fine tune the ink zones with ink in the ink fountain so there is a very light ink film on the fountain roller at zero position on console.

Komori LS
open ink fountain cover of unit to be zero set and select 0-set on main console
put cyan ink into ink fountain,
Make sure ink ductor is in good condition and properly set
start fountain ball rotation to 30% speed,
release locks for ink keys
Adjust each segmented key to achieve ink film thickness of 6-8 Microns on the fountain ball using ink film thickness guage,
when this has been done select zero on console.
Simplified it a bit but that's the main procedure.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back