Layered PDF with Transparency not printing correctly

abccolor

I have a layered PDF which is being placed in InDesign CS2 and then exported to a new PDF. The resulting PDF views correctly, but the areas of transparency are printing darker than they did from the initial PDF (Printing from Acrobat 7.0).

Does anyone have experience with files of this complexity?
Thank You

HP Designjet 5500PS Embedded RIP. Initial PDF prints correctly, but after it passes through InDesign we experience the issue.

HP Designjet 5500PS Embedded RIP. Initial PDF prints correctly, but after it passes through InDesign we experience the issue.

Oh, I might not be much help to you. In the creo\fiery world I would get you to print the file as seperations and combine at the rip. If colour was not an issue I would turn spot colour matching off on the rip. Not sure if either of these options are available to you.

Thanks. I am testing a Fiery XF RIP and in the process of a move to CS4. Not sure how much of this will solve my problem, but right now I need to resolve the problem in CS2, Acrobat 7, and using an internal PS RIP on the large format.

Any information is always appreciated.

Have you tried flattening the layers in Acrobat? Or save as a high resolution tiff, if all else fails.

The first thing I would try is RIPing both an eps and PDF exported from InD with the link NOT embedded, then try an eps and a PDF with the link embedded. I seem to recall often having success just by embedding versus not embedding the PDF placed in InD. I have not used CS2 for quite a while, so it is possible that the placed PDF is newer than what CS2 was built for and this may be causing an issue. Obviously rasterizing the file will work, but at a decent resolution the file could be quite large and of course pretty much uneditable.

1st I would check to see what color space the original pdf is.
Be sure to match this when exporting the file from InDesign.
In addition be sure to export as a 1.4 pdf or above also try no compression.
Be sure the print settings from Acrobat are the same as the settings you are exporting.
**These things are for starters as it could be caused by a multitude of things

In Acrobat Pro there is also an option under the advance tab that is called simulate overprint (not sure if thats the correct name, since I use the Dutch version). You can print it once again to a new PDF or to your RIP. Had the same problem you have and that helped me to get the PDF printed as it was ment to be.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back