Collapse
Canon
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• missing white text

A customer supplied a PDF (8.0). When you open the PDF, the logo is missing. When it's printed on our Laser Jet, it shows up. It didn't print in the newspaper either. I can't attach it as it's too large. Can I email it to someone? Thanks.

Re: missing white text

I'm curious enough. peter.lewis@esko.com ( my profile has the email address as well )
    I'd like to see it.
    "you never know how the past is going to turn out"

Comment

could it be set to overprint? have overprint preview turned on in Acrobat, laser printer did not honor OP's but the newspaper did when they ripped the ad

feel free to send it to me also at cory@printplanet.com curious as well

Comment

My guess?

It's somehow set to overprint. Your Acrobat is set to overprint
        preview, so it disappears there. Your LaserJet can't overprint, so it
        shows there. The newspaper's RIP honors the overprint, so it
        disappears again there.

It will be interesting to see what the problem is.

David

Comment

If it was caused by overprinting white, you can check for it by using the Acrobat preflight tools. In Acrobat Professional 8 go to Advanced --> Print Production --> Preflight. Under PDF analysis you can search for white objects set to overprint.

Shawn

Comment

It was an error on the designer's part. White was not set to knock out. I didn't turn the overprint preview off. Thanks everyone.

Comment

If you expect files from the same designer in the future, ask them to turn on "simulate overprint" when printing their hard-copy from Acrobat, "simulate overprint" from Indesign, or to change "Overprints" to "Simulate" in the advanced tab of Illustrator's print dialog. This will cause the application to change object colors to achieve the same result on a printer that does not honor the overprint attribute (similar to how transparency flattening works with the multiply blending mode), and they can detect and fix the problem before sending files.

Comment

Thanks, where is it located?

Comment

Got it, thanks again.

Comment

I've put some offending designers onto this guy's site. At present the only Free "White Overprint Detector" Plugin, [for Illustrator], is the CS3 one. But a lot would be on that now, anyway. The others are only a nominal shareware charge, anyway. Could save another ugly recurrence down the track.

http://www.worker72a.com/

Comment

Sue, simply use PitStop or Callas pdfCorrect to check and fix white overprints.
                      Matt Beals
                      The views expressed here are my own personal views and are not those of my employer.

Comment

4OverStandard FinishingDuploSmartsoft (Presswise)AleyantCanonKBA
                      Standard FinishingDuploAleyantCanonGraph Expo4 PeesLabelexpoKBAKBA4OverSmartsoft (Presswise)

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5515 users online. 99 members and 5416 guests.

Most users ever online was 6,597 at 10:25 AM on 04-20-2018.

Working...
                      X