Acrobat 8 "Replace Pages" Feature Not Working???

Hopkins Printing

Anyone know of any existing issues with Acrobat 8's Replace Pages feature?

The problem I am having is that after replacing a page within a PDF, all works as expected UNTIL I either choose Save or Save As. Upon saving the updated PDF, the new replacement page disappears and the old page that was replaced is restored. It's as though I never made any changes to the PDF to begin with.

Just to clarify...

I have an 8 page PDF. I replace page 2 with a new page 2. Everything seems to be fine.
I choose Save or Save As and the instant the PDF is saved, the new page 2 vanishes and the old page 2 re-appears.

This happens on any PDF I do this with. I can get around it using the Insert Pages feature and then delete the outdated page using the "Delete Pages" feature but this is more cumbersome which I guess is okay but would really like to know why the Replace Pages feature isn't working.

I am using Acrobat 8 (8.1.6) Pro on Mac OS 10.4 (10.4.11).

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jon Morgan
Hopkins Printing

Sorry haven't had that problem, seems you have had a work around.

May have to do with page cahing? Are you working from a server, if so try save files local.

You could try, instead of save as, select all pages and extract pages, this creates a clean document wich should save. But as I say never had it happen so it's just a guess.

Why Acorbat 8? (I never got allong with Acrobat 8, uninstalled it and stuck to 7 till 9 came.)

Hi Lukas,

We used Acrobat 7 for the longest time but after upgrading to Apogee 6, something changed with 6's Normalizer. ANY PDF made with Apogee 6's Normalizer would not print to any laser printer or network copier out of Acrobat 7 unless the "Print As Image" feature was turned on.

Upgrading to Acrobat 8 solved this. Perhaps I now need to go to 9 to fix this stupid Replace Pages issue. Grrrr.

Cheers,
Jon

Just tried a test with 8.0.0 both locally and across the network. No problems. PDFs created using Apogee Prepress 1.38.207.

Aha you are in Apogee, could be that it actually is the Apogee plugg ins that don't like to save the edited document.
Try to (temporarily) uninstall the Apogee plugins and see if you still have the issue (if you have the time and consider it worth while).

I will absolutely give that a try. We are only using the DocuBox Manager so I will try that :)

EDIT: That wasn't it. Great idea worth trying though!

Thanks Lukas!
Jon

Last edited:
I will absolutely give that a try. We are only using the DocuBox Manager so I will try that :)

EDIT: That wasn't it. Great idea worth trying though!

Thanks Lukas!
Jon

Yeah, we got burned on this in Acrobat 8. We didn't know about it at the time and the operator replaced a page and did a SAVE, closed the document and off to print it went. WHOOPS....

We started checking really close and we found it did not do it all the time but about 70% of the time. Our work around was the same as yours. Delete the page and insert the new page. Save and all is okay. The upgrade to Acrobat 9 did solve it though.

Oh 70% of the time certainty is soooo comforting :p

Have an issue with a digital printer that delivered 250 catalouges for us, and 70% are ok...*the rest missing pages, double pages and out of toner...*the customer is so happy we managed 70% OK and phoned to thank me…*or perhapps to complain about the 30% that were un acceptably wrong ;p

Oh 70% of the time certainty is soooo comforting :p

Have an issue with a digital printer that delivered 250 catalouges for us, and 70% are ok...*the rest missing pages, double pages and out of toner...*the customer is so happy we managed 70% OK and phoned to thank me…*or perhapps to complain about the 30% that were un acceptably wrong ;p

I'll bet the odds of Adobe fixing this bug in Acrobat 8 is right at 0%.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back