colour sequence perceived by human

pacificiam

I have some query about colour sequence perceived by human.

Let me know which colour is most dominant to human eye?

In which sequence human eye perceived colours?

Why we called yellow is least visible to human eye?

Let me know which colour is most dominant to human eye?

In which sequence human eye perceived colours?

Why we called yellow is least visible to human eye?

This is a complex topic and useful information is hard to find.
Humans have very good color discrimination for greens and much less for blues, reds, yellows, and purples. This means that they can more easily distinguish between subtle differences in two similar greens than they can two similar reds.
Colorrange.jpg

Humans have poor color discrimination when hues are very saturated - I.e. saturated colors will tolerate greater variation in reproduction before a color shift is noticed.

The reason is based on biology. If you look at a chromaticity diagram or a plot of the spectral sensitivity of the eye you'll see how much larger the range of greens is. It's also alluded to in biology texts because primates like humans, apes, and monkeys need to be able to distinguish between different greens to ensure that leaf covered branches are alive and safe to climb on and whether fruit is ripe to eat. Greens from blue-green to yellow green are also the predominant colors in our original habitats - African jungle and savanna - which again would favor a need to discriminate between different greens.

best, gordo

- African jungle and savanna - which again would favor a need to discriminate between different greens.

best, gordo

Helps to avoid many kinds of vegetables and keep to red meats. :)

what do you mean by sequence of perception? Ink is printed in sequence, but we perceive colours simultaneously as I understand it. Also I would add that even if we can discriminate greens (in the narrow angle that sees colour), our rods (low light and motion receptors) in the eye are biased to blue, and this is why we feel that movies with a blue cast feel like they are shot at night.

movies with a blue cast feel...

Lukas What kind of Swedish blue movies are you talking about? :)

Maybe you mean Finnish movies with the mandatory Winter Sauna scenes. Steamy in the cold air and snow. Lots of blue human perception there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Blue... movies... (doh!) Avatar? ... *oops I keep forgetting that there will be people with other diets what it comes to movies... actually was thinking more the old (innocent) classic spaghetti westerns. (Blushing is predominately registered in the red spectrum.)

Oh and talking of cold winters, it might be interesting to the OP that colour blindness is higher among eskimos and is though to be related to another phenomena which is better night vision among the same.

Also I find it interesting that yellow is a "lighter" colour, and have been contemplating the fact that we need to stimulate both the "red" sensitive cones and the "green" sensitive cones to perceive yellow, I do not know if it is that these wave lengths stimulate two sensors that make our brains perceive them as "lighter" (same is true for cyan and magenta)

The "dominance" also depends on the emotion that it is accepted in... So you can't really set one certain color. Like Gordo said, that is a pretty complex topic.

However, if you are trying to pinpoint a certain mood or effect that a certain picture/color is trying to have, then you can isolate different connections. Some larger scale companies actually do research in to which colors affect which emotions when they are in the design phase of a publication.

If you're interested in such matters, a good book to read is The Naked Ape: A Zoologist's Study of the Human Animal (Hardback: ISBN 0070431744; Reprint: ISBN 0-385-33430-3). It's a 1967 book by zoologist and anthropologist Desmond Morris which strips away the trappings of culture and custom and looks at humans as an animal species and tries to explain us in the same way we try to understand other animals by studying their physiology. For example, why does our back hair curve into our spine while the fur on the backs of other apes is straight? And other such questions.

best, gordo

Last edited:
For example, why does our back hair curve into our spine while the fur on the backs of other apes is straight?

Gordo, I now feel that I know too much.

I had learned that our color discrimination abilities centered around a) the predominant spectra from the sun (red to yellow) and b) the appearance of skin. As I heard it, our eyes are built to answer two questions:

Can I eat it?

Can I breed it?

I had learned that our color discrimination abilities centered around a) the predominant spectra from the sun (red to yellow) and b) the appearance of skin. As I heard it, our eyes are built to answer two questions:

Can I eat it?

Can I breed it?

Hadn't heard that one.

The "can I eat it" lines up with with what the zoologist Desmond Morris says about our color discrimination being greatest in the blue-greens to yellow-greens.
But I don't see any connection with color vision and the appearance of skin. Maybe a color blind forum member could comment on their breeding ability?

best, (not a zoologist) gordo

Actually was an interesting program about prehistoric zooplangton that had light sensors where they evolved to go Deep in the sea during the day and only surface in the morning and evening. Is this why we blush and associate red with passion, anger or other emotions near the surface whilst blue is the deep, calm, within?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back