#10 Envelope template needed

Prepper

We print our envelopes 4up flat sheet and have them converted, now need to lay them out for the first time since we've went CTP and since I can't just draw layout lines on a sheet at any angle I want and tape film into position, I was wondering if anyone may have a template that I could use in Indesign to arrange a layout for these? Or can point me somewhere to look for one? I also need one for #6.25 size also.

Thanks for any help,
Terry

It would be best if the company that has them converted supplies it to you. That way, you know they can convert it easily. Ours gives us a press sheet size .eps file that we place in InDesign, add our own marks (color bars, register marks, etc.) and place our 1-up envelope pdfs into, line them up to the template and then generate a press sheet sized out of InDesign pdf to take into preps.

Last edited:
Terry, don't go off on your own on this. Talk to the converter! If you set up a layout not approved by the converter, you could be asking for trouble. There are also many variants of a #10 envelope. If you build for one that is different than the die your converter is using...

You could scan the layout sheet in parts and then piece it back together in Photoshop. Done that many times.

Hi oxburger,

Why do you bother with the InDesign step at all? Why not do the layout of the envelopes on the press sheet right in Preps? Just place the 9.5 x 4.125 envelope page at x,y, coordinate angled at some degrees around some corner. See attached.

Al

Attachments

• #10 envelope.tpl.zip
    868 bytes · Views: 222
Because most of the time, our converter draws them out by hand and then scans them. So from one time to the next, the pages might be rotated and fit on to the page differently. It's weird the way they do things, but what are you gonna do?

Definitely talk to your converter. Depending if it is a double side seam or a cross back envelope they layout can be very different. They also may have a specific sheet size that they like to die cut from.

Cheers
J

Ask your converter! Envelope dies are made from forged steel and can't be changed like a normal die so if your printed sheets don't match the die you might aswell through them in the bin. Dies cost about $1000 so very expensive. I used to work for an envelope converter and set up their digital prepress, all the envelope cutters were digitised over 2 thousand of them and we moved everything to ctp. We used to rip and trap the files and them impose them in preps we could rotate them and nest. Very easy.

AjR

#10 template

#10 template

Thanks to all your help. This is what I've done in the past too, I have laid out in Preps and Indesign, found that scanning envelope and arranging in Indesign was the easiest way and you can place text right in there also. Was asking cause our converter doesn't have digital templates, just hand-drawn ones, they have been nice about letting us re-use the layout over and over but if we do ask for a new one it could be a little different because of it being laid out and traced out by hand. They aren't too picky as long as it has 3 places where its within 1/8" of an edge or another envelope so it will bust out ok.

And as I've learned all #10s aren't the same so asking for a #10 template doesn't help.

Thanks

Al, this I've done also but I need to print on the front and the back flap also so made 2 page in preps head to head. Page I'm placing for the flap is on an 8.5x11 file page though and other stuff on that page shows up in non-image areas of Preps layout, any ideas?

Got rid of that by just cropping down those pages to what I needed but bleeds not working right either so had to mess with that a while to get it where their little cutting dots would show up ok on all the corners, ended up just putting them in as marks in Preps also. Was going to post a screenshot but can't get that to work right now either!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back