Ps / pdf / vdx

kaiserwilhelm

I have a technical issue and I might not be in the correct forum. This has to do with how PDFs and PS files are made.
Say I wanted to have variable data in a file with the exact SAME picture of a house. How can I get this to my printer in the most economical fashion. And, by printer, I mean Konica 550 BizHub.
IE, I would rather that the picture of the house NOT be sent 1,000 times. If the picture is 3 meg, then I am sending HUGE files.
Is there a button in Acrobat or Distiller or something (maybe even my printer driver) that will allow for the picture to be sent once and the data to lay on top of that?
I believe that a VDX does this but I am not aware of anything other than a Nexpress allowing VDX?
Please move forums if I am incorrect on where I placed this.

I have a Fiery. I would most probably look into a software and or hardware solution if there is one. I believe that Konica makes a product (software) that would allow me to actually "drop" files onto a Queue vs "Printing" them.

What you are looking for is to have the static images cached. There are a wide variety of formats which can do this. VIPP, PPML, VPS, etc. Currently I use VIPP which is only for Xerox equipment.

What software are you using to create the Variable? Software which is designed for Variable Data Printing will give you the ability to optimize your output file, thus cacheing your images.

I have a Fiery.

The Fiery Command Workstation software used with our Xerox copiers has a simple VDP feature that does exactly this - it is called "FreeForm".

One prints the static "boilerplate" data once - this becomes the "FreeForm Master" file and is only RIPed once. Then one prints and RIPs the variable multiple page data as a separate send to the RIP. When RIPing the multi page data, one selects the FreeForm Master template and the RIP will combine both files at print.

Stephen Marsh

XMPie does that
maybe
look into doing that by using OPI in the output stream
so your static items are just links.
MSD

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back