The Vanishing Family Printshop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Vanishing Family Printshop

No vanishing here Gordon. H&S Graphics Lodi, NJ. 32 years Family owned. :-)

Comment

All too true. There used to be three in the town in which I work; now there's only one, and I don't have much hope for it. It's not owned by the founders as it is.

Comment

"Give me a hand, this podium too heavy for an old man to carry alone..."

Comment

Too true, this comment is a little dated, but in the year after the dot com bust(2001 as I recall) here in Kalifornia, back when UniSource still existed, their salesman told us that they lost a shop a day during that time period . . . and that was not just mom and pops but printing companies sometimes with 100s of employees . . . .
          "If you think you are too small to be effective
          you have never been in the dark with a mosquito."

Comment

Originally posted by Possumgal View Post
            All too true. There used to be three in the town in which I work; now there's only one, and I don't have much hope for it. It's not owned by the founders as it is.
            Hopefully it's not your shop you're talking about!

Comment

Originally posted by gordo View Post
              Maybe Jack is very short and we just can't see him behind the podium.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Nikkanen View Post

Maybe Jack is very short and we just can't see him behind the podium.
                Note the height of the podium in the first two frames relative to the speaker. If Jack is too short to make his appearance at the podium...he probably has another career opportunity awaiting him.

Comment

Originally posted by alibryan View Post

Hopefully it's not your shop you're talking about!
                  Unfortunately, yes. When it goes, I'll get out of printing. Not much choice.

Comment

Note the height of the podium in the first two frames relative to the speaker. If Jack is too short to make his appearance at the podium...he probably has another career opportunity awaiting him.
                    I guess this means that Jack has a career option most others might not have. Maybe in show business? :-)

When ones training and skills are too specific, it means they are not so transferable. If much of ones knowledge is based on myths, that makes it even worse. I see this as a sad situation for some of the young people being educated by the graphic arts institutions.

If these young people don't make it in the printing industry, they don't have the management training needed for other industries where other candidates probably have some business school education. They don't have anywhere near the science and technical education that other candidates would have gotten from engineering schools or science degree programs.

Of course, if they have a family printing business, then they would have a guaranteed job for life. Oops, I forgot, this thread is about the vanishing family print businesses. No job security there.

Comment

Note the height of the podium in the first two frames relative to the speaker.
                      Also note the microphone holder is different in the last slide. Maybe just a difference in perspective!

Comment

Originally posted by prwhite View Post

Also note the microphone holder is different in the last slide. Maybe just a difference in perspective!
                        The podium is also different. Maybe there are two podiums and Jack went to the wrong one.

Comment

He's under the podium carrying it. The guy clearly told him to take it away.

Comment

Jack couldn't make it to the conference because he is a small business owner and his lead pressman quit.

Comment

Originally posted by prwhite View Post

That smart phone under the microphone has Jack on the other end, 'phoning in' his speech...

Comment

4OverKBAStandard FinishingDuploSmartsoft (Presswise)UltimateAleyant
                              GTI4OverKBAKBAStandard FinishingDuploAleyant

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5540 users online. 110 members and 5430 guests.

Most users ever online was 6,597 at 10:25 AM on 04-20-2018.

Working...
                              X