2 in 1 fount

Hi Alan, Our replies are listed below against your questions. Regards Brian & Carol

Hi Lee, Brian, Carol,
I used to buy from Algraphic International, not Algraphic Supplies. Different company?Brian comments - No, my apologies for the error, it was Algraphic International (who have since closed down) I always found their service to be excellent and technically faultless. You make no mention of using 2in1 in the process of calibrating the Alcosmart, it appears that the functionality of the system is all that is being checked. If the Alcosmart had been reset to sniff NPA, you would not have the need for a correction table. Brian comments - Technotrans issued Algraphic with the Alcosmart calibration and correction table

My understanding is that NPA is a 100% VOC, the same as IPA. Lower vapour pressure, slower evaporation yes but still 100% VOC. Brian comments - 2in1 is only 80% when opened and feeding to the press, as it has 20% product mix included in the drum

I beg to differ about the carbon footprint. As I said, NPA is a 100% VOC, it is now recognised that imports brought in by container vessels are one of the largest single contributors to CO2 emissions. Brian comments - IPA brought in by seafreight carries the same footprint A recent report by Oceana says:

• Only five countries in the world release more carbon dioxide than the global fleet of marine vessels.
• This fleet releases 1.12 billion metric tons of carbon dioxide each year, an amount equivalent to emissions from over 205 million cars, or more cars than were registered in the U.S. in 2006 (135 million).
• A single container ship emits more global warming pollution than 2,000 diesel trucks.
• By 2020, these emissions could double 2002 levels, and they could be triple those levels by 2030.
• Ships are also major emitters of nitrogen oxides – contributing nearly 30% of the world’s releases. This amount too is expected to triple by 2030.
• Another pollutant released by ships, black carbon, or soot, can warm the air as well as cause snow and ice to melt. Black carbon may be responsible for as much as 25% of observed global warming.
•

Don’t know what you are charging but I was paying £1.60p per litre for 2in1. That was a little more than paying for fount/IPA for a similar quantity mix and printed sheet yield to usage. Brian Comments - As Algraphic International closed down 2 years ago we are unable to comment on pricing. Please remember the benefit of ink saving and faster colour balance when changing jobs, this also saves on time and paper costs.

Never had a crystallisation problem with fount IPA mix in the tank. Brian comments - I think you said the problem was on the outside of the joint, thus the fount in 2in1 would crystalise where using conventional IPA would not, as the IPA would evaporate

There wasn’t a problem with the doser, more likely the correction chart is not that accurate. Remember, you are not calibrating the Alcosmart to accept NPA, merely interpreting the information differently from the unit to the main computer. I did say I kept my water levels between 15%-18%, depending on temperature of press. The water savings achieved using 2in1 were minimal because I was starting from a low base. I spoke to someone from Cambridge University Press a while ago, they tried 2in1 and were getting picture framing quite bad, Carol comment - we were led to believe that CUP wanted to go alcohol free not that they had picture framing issues, which would have been caused by inaccurate dosing and should have been assessed by Algraphic International. I will follow this up with our distributor in the area who is in negotiation with them although that wasn’t our experience, just steels inking up.

I think 2in1 is possibly a little more aggressive than most founts and tends to break down the ink easier. Brian comments - the breaking down of ink is caused by running too much water. (in the majority of cases water is brought down when using 2in1) We have testimonies to this effect if time permitted us to post them

Would be good to know your printer with such long runs, do you know what plate he uses, that information would be of value to the print forum. Carol comments - This particular client is using Fuji Violet Plates. We do not wish to post our clients names on this website, albeit a mainly USA based website.

Believe me, you have low ceilings and you know you are using 2in1! IPA just seemed to have a more clinical smell; perhaps it is the other ingredients in 2in that give it its unique aroma? Brian comments - All other ingredients are in powder form with no fragrance, perhaps it is the slight difference between IPA and NPA. We can manufacture with IPA if required.

That’s a name I have not heard mentioned for many a year - Howson Algraphy. Times have moved on a pace, maybe ok for aluminium plates but what about brass? valves and the like. Brian comments - The valves have been around for years and the H/A founts did not damage them. This is the point we were makingAs for the Magnesium Nitrate is this the product that was the residue around the pipes, Would that not then be theoretically classed as the carcinogenic powder? Brian comments - No, because there is NO magnesium nitrate in 2in1 so the problem cannot occur. I was merely agreeing with your comments made about MSDS sheets.

Anyway good luck Lee, be interesting to see how you get on.

Drying

Drying

2 in 1 Fount is designed to reduce dampening on the press. When carrying out trials we turn the water back up to 20% then reduce ink settings when running. This enables you to obtain faster drying with the product than a conventional two pack system. What part of the World are you from?

2 in 1 update

2 in 1 update

Well, the guys (and girls!) from 2 in 1 came in last Wednesday as planned. They were very professional and knowledgeable on the problems that can occur on dampening systems. The whole changeover was fast and tweak-free with no problems on the day.

The fount is taken thru the Alcosmart on the Technotrans Beta -D unit which gives you constant monitoring of the mix. The additive doser is not used. Having ran an IPA/Fount mix of around 12% we now run at 11% for 2 in 1 under recommendations. A benefit of running a single pack fount is no more going to an outbuilding to retrieve IPA!.

Anyways....now the good stuff!

Generally we ran our damping from 20% first thing rising to 40-50% by 10-11pm. We now start at around 8% depending on ambient temp rising to around 12% once the press is warmed up. Our densities are up so we have reduced the ink feed via the ink presetting curves and we have also reduced the dot gain.

There is virtually no picture framing and the pan/metering rollers run very clean. Start ups are cleaner and drying time is down. Believe me when I say that this fount is THE BUSINESS! Even after a 30 min break when normally we would get scumming up, the damps never moved and no scumming!

Trust me, I am not paid by BMM Print nor am I affiliated in anyway with them other than by using their product.

Regards Lee

Fountain solution

Fountain solution

A friend in houston has been running Hostmann fountain solution for over a year and said it is working very well they have 3/ 6color Heidelberg and 1 /6 color Komori .They said it is a one step and preforming very well. They also he run their Reflecta series and The Risista N series

Hows it going Lee?

Hows it going Lee?

Hi Lee,
Good to hear you are having positive results, any chance of an update? Not been around of late, getting my career back on track! I have had talks with a small Eastern European consortium of businessmen wanting to get into the UK printing industry, they play their cards close to the chest but they seem very genuine in their intentions. A site has been allocated can’t say where at present other than it is in the home counties, bought and paid for and they want me to run the machine room consisting of 2 x B1 12 colour plus coaters and 2 x B2 5 colour plus coaters. The machines will be brought in second hand but in good nick from what I have seen. So exciting times for me! I have spoken to them about the product 2in1 and they are allowing me to research its capabilities. From your experience so far, it would look as if in the past when I used it, we may have had a doser problem. I was always keen to make it work but I think the management just ran out of patience and then money! I am interested to hear all the upsides, downsides as well, if you have had any. Also Lee, most important to them, interested to know the cost, would like to work out the difference of 2in1 and IPA/fount mix. Also, do you buy direct from the manufacturer BMM Print or through an agent? Also as well, what quantities do you buy and in what format, 25lt, 205lt barrels? How do you think it best introduced to the press? Lead times on deliveries would be useful, to be honest, we don’t want to keep large quantities on site. Would appreciate your help Lee,
Cheers
Alan

I use a one step from prisco, on a CD 102. Excellent for UV inks. Our waters start at 25% and never go past 40%. We run like this for weeks with out changing the water.

Update

Update

Hi Alan,

Good to see you're getting back into the industry (what's left of it!)

We buy 2 in 1 from a supplier called Inkland, they're based in the North of England. They are about 90 mins down the road so delivery times are not really a problem to us. At the moment we are only keeping around 75 litres on site as its still a trial (everything is on trial until something goes wrong!)

Cost wise worked out pretty good. Inkland worked out the cost for us based on usage of previous fount/IPA usage. We were paying £22.64 for 10 ltrs of fount plus £23.00 for 25 ltrs of IPA with a 3/8.5% mix coming out at £0.15 per mixed litre. 2 in 1 came in at £0.17 per mixed litre, so slightly higher.

However as I said previously our water is well down (running at 5-15%) and we have dropped the inks as the density went up. So 2p per litre would easily be taken up by the drop in consumable usage.

We will probably be rolling it out to other presses if everything continues well.

Regards

Update 2

Update 2

Sorry Alan I forgot a few things!

We buy 2 in 1 in 25 ltr containers which are ideal for the Technotrans Beta D unit we have.

As for introducing it to the press, the guys from BMM came in to do all that. The only adjustments are done on the dosage based on temperature. Our mix is very stable using the Alcosmart. We've also have follow up calls to see how things are going.

Regards

IPA eliminator

IPA eliminator

We are selling and producing product call SINAL ,100% eliminate IPA and fountain solution in the same time ,certificate by FOGRA , Heidelberg, KBA and Roland , used at 5% assure that 100% you will never use more IPA with fantastic print quality , belive me is realy incredible.

Hi Lee,
Any more feedback on the 2in1?

Hi Alan,

Sorry for the delay on the reply (holidays!).

First off, the price for 2 in 1 was excluding VAT.

We are still problem free with the fount and have found a couple of point of interest. Since we switched over we have yet to change the water in the system (5 weeks) and the conductivity is around 1500 now.

It has, however, exposed the pre-press guys because is does react to overused developer in CTP. I think we were getting around 6 weeks (depending on plates thru). Now they've been told to renew every 4 weeks as we were having to push the water up after 4-5 weeks, but nothing problematic.

I would say that we are very happy to continue using the product and now there is talk of using FM screening due to sharpness of dot (time will tell!)

Hope this helps!

Regards

2in1

2in1

Hi Lee, thanks for the info, I think I would be concerned If my annual spend on plate dev and the extra waste disposal cost rose by 30%, perhaps you should run it past your Financial Director to cover yourself! Having said that, I have been contacted by a chemical supplier that sells a 1 pack fount similar to 2in1 only it is 20% behind the cost you quoted me of 2in1. They bring it in from the Balkans. Where exactly I don’t know, will find out next week when I meet them. They have 23 installations in the UK, they are taking me to see an instillation on an old 4 col SM72 in Bedford and then down to the West Country to see a ten colour with all the whistles and bells including Technotrans Alcosmart doser running with it. They are also using CTP, what plates do you use by the way, if they use the same, will be interesting to see if they have the same problem as you, see whether it is a fount or plate weakness. Will let you know how I get on,
Alan

report back!

report back!

Hi Lee,

Just returned from a few weeks in Bavaria, after seeing their ONE! fount solution perform on several presses in the UK, appears holistic to 2 in 1 but runs at a lower dosage and is around 30% cheaper to the end user. I visited their government sponsored manufacturing base and I must say I was very impressed. Ultimately their aim is to make inroads into the UK and other European markets, then manufacture and distribute from hubs within. Good product, certainly reduces water and ink levels which as a machine manager, is what lithography is all about! No plate problems to report on all the major players I have asked for. My company may be an agent for the product as well as an end user, anyone interested, dealers or end users, let me know and I will get our sales guys to speak to you.

Alan

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back