4 color print ad

Sanny

Hi All,

I am fairly new to the printing world as have done most of my work in web development. I have to create a print ad for a magazine using four colors only. Does this mean it has to be 4 color CMYK job - "prcoess" or "spot color". Not very sure, any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
Sanny

Re: 4 color print ad

Use as many colors as you need, then convert all the colors to process. If your sending a PDF of the ad it's easier to do it when you export.

Yeah but if you have black text in your ad, make it 0% Cyan 0% Magenta 0% Yellow and 100% Black (as oppose to making it RGB black) ;-)

Don't forget that your images need to be higher dpi than for the web. For you ad you'll need about 300 dpi at 100% reproduction size.

Sanny.

You'll also want to watch your total ink limit. That number will vary, depending on what kind of stock the magazine your are advertising in uses. You should be able to go to their website and get specs, or call their production/prepress manager.

Often times, with magazine ads, they have guidelines for minimum and maximum coverage in the highlights and shadows, as well as minimum font sizes for KO, or contrast ratios for text set to overprint. So it's good to have all the information you need, up-front, before you start designing.

I submit ads for numerous publications and, aside from PDFX/1-a being standard, their other specs all vary. And since you don't get a proof (for the most part), and the deadlines are always so tight, not to mention the ads cost a boat-load of money, it makes sense to get it right the first time - because usually there is not enough time for a revision.

Hope that helps.

For extra tips on how to build your ad, try to get the magazine technical spec sheet. Most magazines have a website and you will often find it under the "advertise" section. Good luck.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back