400gsm registration Xerox versant 280

NorwoodPress

Does anyone know how I can manage to successfully setup an alignment profile for 400gsm silk stock? Obviously the machine can only do simplex on this thick stock.

I have tried doing single sided scanning and when I do it says 'completed with error'.

It's mainly the skew I could do with sorting out as it slightly going 2mm off. I have cut the paper to SRA3 on the guillotine to make sure it is square.

The job I am printing is for some business cards.

Any help would be appreciated.

I receive this error message occasionally when the engine is not warmed up enough. Sometimes it takes running a few sheets to get up to temperature, then the SIQA registration can be completed. If this isn’t the case, then you may want to look at a few other options.
  1. On 400 gsm stock make sure you select 1 sided calibration when outputting your sample sheet.
  2. If automatic alignment fails, try manual alignment.
  3. Still not able to align, then last resort enter value for skew manually and output one copy of the job and measure skew. Enter new skew adjustment manually again until it’s good.
You may need to have two different custom paper settings for the 400 gsm stock, one for side one and another for side two.

I doubt it's the firmware, but latest version is 81.23.1

Am I reading this correctly that you're putting a 400 gsm sheet through the doc feeder to get registration alignment? You need to scan the sheet on the document glass when it's that thick. I think that's the problem here.

Am I reading this correctly that you're putting a 400 gsm sheet through the doc feeder to get registration alignment? You need to scan the sheet on the document glass when it's that thick. I think that's the problem here.
That's a good shout, well spotted.

I've had my V80 6+ years and I don't think I've ever used the doc feeder for alignment. 95% or more of our jobs are SRA3.

SRA3 won’t fit in the auto document feeder so that can’t be the issue with the error. You're correct, it's better to use the glass even if the paper can run in the document feeder because the glass is more accurate, .1mm vs .2mm for feeder.

I don’t run much 400 gsm but I do have some 16pt c2s that I tried using the auto alignment and I get the same error on my 280. It’s kind of a pain to align the black marks on the glass because they’re only printed on one side of the sheet, and that side needs to face the glass. Maybe that’s part of the issue with the error, don’t know for sure.

I can however print the alignment sheet for one sided manual alignment and then measure and enter the adjustments. The 16pt ran spot on after manual adjustments were entered. It takes a few more minutes to do a manual alignment but it does the job.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back