A4 stitched booklet to A5 folder

abc27

Does anyone know of a folding unit we can hand drop an A4 12pp booklet into that has 1 saddle stitch on the spine that will fold it to A5. We have around 30,000 of these to do, last year we hand fed them into our Duplo booklet maker but i seem to recall seeing a " folding box" once you could simply drop them into and it folded them in half.

Similar discussion here from a few months ago.

Just an opinion, but I think the output makes for an ugly product - when unfolded and read by the consumer, the product is horrible - the pages don't turn easily at all. If ever asked for this, we would persuade the buyer to have an A5 booklet instead!

Similar discussion here from a few months ago.

Just an opinion, but I think the output makes for an ugly product - when unfolded and read by the consumer, the product is horrible - the pages don't turn easily at all. If ever asked for this, we would persuade the buyer to have an A5 booklet instead!
Thanks for that. I agree on the finishing but this is a simple form that gets folded to A5 because its much cheaper to post locally that size. Once filled in it gets pulled apart and scanned hence just 1 stitch.

You can turn the stitching off on the Duplo DBM150T so that it just folds but doesn't insert a staple. Still a lot of hand feeding for 30,000 though.

You can turn the stitching off on the Duplo DBM150T so that it just folds but doesn't insert a staple. Still a lot of hand feeding for 30,000 though.
I very much doubt that would work. The folding pressure on the booklet maker is not comparable to that on a buckle folder and the input assembly on the DBM150 is sensitive to detecting poorly fed stock. I once fed a small quantity (of flat paper) through it in fold only mode and the output, whilst accurate, was a springy pile. Even if the difference in front and back thickness (spine vs fore-edge) didn't register as a misfed input, it would probably jam in the output section. Sooner or later you'd end up with skewed, torn booklets and bits of stitching wire inside and damage the machine. IMO.

That’s pretty much what we did last year but it was pretty slow and we were worried about damaging the rollers when feeding stitched booklets in side on.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back