AB Dick 9800 Impression Cylinder Gripper Binding

printingt

Sending out an SOS ....

Cruising along on #10 envelopes just fine. Took a break. Came back, fired up, then envelopes start flying everywhere.

Found the impression cylinder gripper sorta stuck closed. Lubricated everything, blew out everything, still has a hard spot when opening.

Spring tension is OK (could be better), but I have no idea on what it would take to pull that gripper assembly out (do I have to pull the cylinder), or what would even be creating the issue.

Any help, pointers, direction appreciated.

Sending out an SOS ....

Cruising along on #10 envelopes just fine. Took a break. Came back, fired up, then envelopes start flying everywhere.

Found the impression cylinder gripper sorta stuck closed. Lubricated everything, blew out everything, still has a hard spot when opening.
Ow. Sounds like a shaft is binding.
Can happen with excessive wear.
Are you sure nothing on the cam side of the cylinder is sticking?
Spring tension is OK (could be better), but I have no idea on what it would take to pull that gripper assembly out (do I have to pull the cylinder), or what would even be creating the issue.
I'm looking for pics.
Here are the Parts and Service manuals.
Good luck.
Any help, pointers, direction appreciated.

I have never had the impression cylinder out of the press, and with it so tight in there it is a joke trying to see what's going on. I was just hoping I wouldn't have to take that cylinder out just to see what was happening.

I did finally get it going.

I couldn't tell if it was binding on the linkage/cam or in the actual gripper finger area. I finally loosened all the gripper finger screws slightly and putting a slight distance (less than paper-thin) between the lower part of the grippers (head-stops?) and now everything is smooth as butter.

Thank You Chris for your input and assistance.

We be off to the races!

Ahh. Yes. That might work to allow 'things' to rotate slightly off the worn spot.
Be aware that may be temporary.
And with the cost of used machines it might be better to try and find another gently used one somewhere as insurance.
Now that you've 'earned' some lead time.
Race away!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back