ab dick super aquamatics

jerryplatter

I want to convert the super aquamatic system on my 360 to the conventional ab dick water system. Can I just replace the upper and lower water rollers with the conventional rollers? Everything looks the same to me except the composition of the rollers.
If this can't be done, how do I replace the lower rubber roller? According to what I've read, this roller might need to be replaced once a year. This press sat unused for a couple of years before I bought it used, so if these rollers are really that sensitive, it needs to be replaced.
When I cleaned up up and treated the rollers, it ran and printed very well. But, after 1,000 or so impressions, things started to fall apart and no amount of tinkering or adjusting would help. Very frustrating because I like the press and the chain delivery for carbonless especially.
Any help is appreciated.

Hi Jerry,
We used to have three AB Dick 360s in our pressroom. They all ended up being converted to Varn Kompac dampening systems. I would recommend a conversion to a similar system.

Bill

The Varn Kompac dampening systems work very well, but require periodic changing of the end seals because the "water reservoir" is the two rollers and the end seals. Look into the Crestline system which uses a metal water pan and does not require the seals.

Al

The Varn Kompac dampening systems work very well, but require periodic changing of the end seals because the "water reservoir" is the two rollers and the end seals. Look into the Crestline system which uses a metal water pan and does not require the seals.

Al

Sorry to disagree but I have posted on the Kompac v Crestline discussion many times before. Changing the seals on a 360-style press is EASY. It should not even be an issue.

The Kompac rollers will last a lot longer than the Crestline. The Crestline requires frequent adjustments between any prolonged idle time.

I have an AB Dick 9995 (Ryobi 3302) with a Crestline and a Hamada DU 34II perfector with the Kompac. The DU 34 Kompac rollers are 4 years old. The AB Dick Crestlines have yet to last one year.

Regarding the seals, on the Perfector it is necessary to remove the Kompac to access the seals. It takes about 30 minutes. That being said, I wouldn't change it for any other system.

I will close with a positive: the Crestline SURE beats the rinky-dink "Ryobimatic" dampening system that comes stock on the 3302.

Bill,
Do you have install instructions for the Kompac on the 360? I bought one from a used parts dealer, and the instructions they included are Krap (haha). I called a Kompac dealer and of course they want $200 for the instructions... thats what I gave for the Kompac itself. So if you could help that would be great. And yes as you can tell I agree the conventional dampening system on the 360 sucks, I have the one with the chrome roller, terrible design. Thanks for your help.

Bill,
Do you have install instructions for the Kompac on the 360? I bought one from a used parts dealer, and the instructions they included are Krap (haha). I called a Kompac dealer and of course they want $200 for the instructions... thats what I gave for the Kompac itself. So if you could help that would be great. And yes as you can tell I agree the conventional dampening system on the 360 sucks, I have the one with the chrome roller, terrible design. Thanks for your help.

Sorry I have nothing on the Kompac. It came on the perfector, which we got from a used equipment buyer. (Sold as "refurbished" which was a total crock!) I know this is a dumb question but have you tried looking online? Sadly there is an obvious lack of resources for presses because everything is going to copiers. That's another rant for another day.:mad:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back