Accuset 1000 (Viper 1.9.2) Dot Shape

Hello All,

We are in the process of switching our imagesetter from a Linotronic 330 w/RIP-50 (due to dead laser) to an Agfa Accuset 1000 w/Viper 1.9.2. I have a question regarding the available dot shapes. On the RIP-50 we had the option of setting various dot shapes including Euclidean which is what we used most. The Viper RIP only shows Round and Elliptical; is there any way to download more dot shapes onto the RIP?

Also, another quick question does the Viper 1.9.2 support TCP/IP? We had the RIP-50 setup via IP so I could output directly from our PC front end. Right now I've got the Viper on OS9 and I've setup a hot folder and sending PS that way.

I would appreciate the help and the knowledge of those with experience on this equipment.

Thanks,
Chris

The Viper RIP only shows Round and Elliptical; is there any way to download more dot shapes onto the RIP?

Have you imaged Round out of the Viper and looked at the dots? Some RIPs use the term "Round" when they actually image Euclidean.

best, gordo

Have you imaged Round out of the Viper and looked at the dots? Some RIPs use the term "Round" when they actually image Euclidean.

ABS Round - Euclidean

I was trying to figure out all the parameters on this new equipment before running film. I ran some film and did see that ABS Round screen filter does output Euclidean dots. Thank you guys for tip.

By the way Gordo, I came onto your blog a few years ago (precisely on a post regarding AM screening dot shapes) when I was just starting my pre-press/graphics job; it's been a very valuable resource. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Installing the Network Connection
The RIP host Macintosh on which you will install the Viper application
must be configured to communicate with the workstations in the
Viper network system. For information on installation and administration
of a network, refer to your network documentation and network
administrator.
Nothing special mentioner over manuals like more details were published for RIP STAR connection over TCP/IP.
As I remember - appletalk or ethertalk were available for networking only.

Installing the Network Connection
The RIP host Macintosh on which you will install the Viper application
must be configured to communicate with the workstations in the
Viper network system. For information on installation and administration
of a network, refer to your network documentation and network
administrator.
Nothing special mentioner over manuals like more details were published for RIP STAR connection over TCP/IP.
As I remember - appletalk or ethertalk were available for networking only.

Thanks for the additional information. Our front end is using Windows 7 so AppleTalk is out of the question. For now I've got a workaround solution using an application called DAVE on the Mac which enables file-sharing to our Windows network. I've mounted the Viper Spool folder onto my front end and I can save my PS to that directory; the RIP will pick it up using the Hot Folder mode.

The person selling us this equipment has promised us newer Viper 3.02 RIP software which might have TCP/IP networking. We'll see once we get our hands on that.

I'm posting this setup information for future reference in case someone else is looking for setup info with Viper RIP and Accuset.

We did receive the Viper 3.02 RIP and installed it onto our system running Mac OS 9.2.2. Unfortunately, the only input channel that would function is AppleTalk (There must be an incompatibility with earlier Viper 3 versions and later Mac OS 9 systems). This meant I had to resort to using a USB drive and AgfaSet to output our files. I remedied this limitation by installing AppleShare IP 6.3.3 which allowed me to create a TCP/IP print queue from the AppleTalk channel of the RIP.

After some searching I was able to purchase Viper 3.04 (just the install disc) from Germany and installed it. It seems that this update works perfectly on Mac OS 9.2.2 and I am able to send via TCP/IP from our Windows 7 front end. Dongle for Viper 3.01 works with this update.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back