Acrobat Pro / Edit Object / Properties / Color Conversion

Stephen Marsh

When using the Acrobat Pro / Edit Object / Properties / Color Conversion option, on Windows OS there is an option to convert to “Black & White” (which results in a solid 100% greyscale colour space object).

This option does not appear to exist on the Mac OS version. Why?

Is this an ICC profile that exists on Windows but no on Mac OS?

Is this a feature that is hard wired into the Win OS version but not the Mac?

Is there any way to add this feature to the Mac OS version?

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
Yes, it is an ICC profile and should be in your "profiles" folder. On my Mac the path is: /Library/ColorSync/Profiles

The profile is called "Black & White.icc"

My Acrobat Pro recognizes this profile and it shows up in the list for color conversion...best of luck! :)

Yes, it is an ICC profile and should be in your "profiles" folder. On my Mac the path is: /Library/ColorSync/Profiles

My Acrobat Pro recognizes this profile and it shows up in the list for color conversion…best of luck! :)

Thank you for the reply RGB!

What Mac OS are you on? What version of Acrobat Pro?

I have two profiles installed on my Mac (10.9.3 Maverick OS):

(A) Black & White.icc (Abstract profile class, Lab space & Lab PCS)

(B) BlackWhite.icc (Output profile clase, gray space, XYZ PCS)

Neither of these profiles are available in Acrobat Pro X when using the Edit Object / Properties / Color Conversion option.

The “abstract” profile is available to Photoshop.

EDIT: These “black and white” profiles are not available to the print production “convert colours” tool either.

LeonardR - are you out there?!

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
I have two profiles installed on my Mac (10.9.3 Maverick OS):

(A) Black & White.icc (Abstract profile class, Lab space & Lab PCS)

(B) BlackWhite.icc (Output profile clase, gray space, XYZ PCS)

Neither of these profiles are available in Acrobat Pro X when using the Edit Object / Properties / Color Conversion option.

I don't have the profile on my Mac (also 10.9.3) so I can't see what happens here. If you can email it, I'll try.

In general, Acrobat expects an Output profile - so it would normally pick (b) above.

I don't have the profile on my Mac (also 10.9.3) so I can't see what happens here. If you can email it, I'll try.

In general, Acrobat expects an Output profile - so it would normally pick (b) above.

Thanks Leonard, as Photoshop can use Abstract class profiles, that is why the Apple profile is visible to Photoshop, so I know that the profiles are installed correctly.

Acrobat can’t pickup the Adobe “BlackWhite.icc” profile in Acrobat, nor is it visible in Photoshop in a greyscale conversion.

The profile is an Adobe profile from 2002, it is a greyscale space output/printer class profile using XYZ as the PCS. It is installed in the Adobe Application Support folder. I have tried all profile folders, including system, user account etc.

I ran ColorSync Utility Profile First Aid and no error came up on the profile, nor does it have any issues opening in DocBees Profile Manager.

Attached is the profile in question.

Stephen Marsh

Attachments

• BlackWhite.icc.zip
    723 bytes · Views: 215
@RGB, perhaps my profile is corrupt.

Can you please .zip compress and upload your working profile to the forum as an attachment?

What Mac OS are you on? What version of Acrobat Pro? I am interested if this could be an OS version or Acrobat version issue.

Stephen Marsh

My Acrobat Pro recognizes this profile and it shows up in the list for color conversion...best of luck! :)

Last edited:
Can any Mac OS Acrobat Pro 9, X, XI > users please confirm if they have a black and white conversion option in the Edit Object tool / Properties / Color Conversion?

How about Windows users of Acrobat Pro 9, X, XI > ?

Is it just me (Mac OS 10.9.3 Maverick + Acrobat Pro X)?

Is it just my ICC profile (which has been downloaded 5 times, but no feedback)?

I would like to know if this is an ICC issue, an Acrobat version issue, an OS issue or one or more of the previous in combination.

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
Not seeing your profile in any Adobe application.

OK, thank you Lukas for the confirmation that this could be the profile. Do you have a black and white profile that is available in the in the Edit Object tool / Properties / Color Conversion?

What OS are you using? What version of Acrobat Pro?

Stephen Marsh

Using maverick. I see the profile only in ColorThink Pro. It had an error with finder type, but didn't help to fix that either.

Using maverick. I see the profile only in ColorThink Pro. It had an error with finder type, but didn't help to fix that either.

Thanks Lukas, can I presume that your system does not have this profile? Or is it only my profile that is not working, while your profile does work in Acrobat Pro Edit Object tool / Properties / Color Conversion?

Stephen Marsh

Stephen,

I am running OS10.9.2 and Acrobat X1 (11.0.0). I only have the Black & White.icc profile on my computer and cannot see it in Acrobat, nor Photoshop CS6 (13.0).

Additionally in Edit Object>ObjectProperties Color Tab I do not have an option to convert to Black & White. The only, what appear to be, “black and white” conversions I have available are; Generic Gray Gamma 2.2 Profile; Generic Gray Profile; and, sGray.

Stephen,

I am running OS10.9.2 and Acrobat X1 (11.0.0). I only have the Black & White.icc profile on my computer and cannot see it in Acrobat, nor Photoshop CS6 (13.0).

Additionally in Edit Object>ObjectProperties Color Tab I do not have an option to convert to Black & White. The only, what appear to be, “black and white” conversions I have available are; Generic Gray Gamma 2.2 Profile; Generic Gray Profile; and, sGray.

Thank you Bill.

So, it is not just me. This would appear to be a missing feature on the Mac OS side of Acrobat Pro.

I have been told that this feature exists on Windows OS Acrobat Pro.

Can any Windows OS Acrobat Pro 9, X, XI > users confirm if they have a Black & White ICC conversion option in Acrobat Pro Edit Object tool / Properties / Color Conversion?

Stephen Marsh

Thank you Bill.

So, it is not just me. This would appear to be a missing feature on the Mac OS side of Acrobat Pro.

I have been told that this feature exists on Windows OS Acrobat Pro.

Can any Windows OS Acrobat Pro 9, X, XI > users confirm if they have a Black & White ICC conversion option in Acrobat Pro Edit Object tool / Properties / Color Conversion?

Stephen Marsh

Acrobat X on Windows 7: Gray color profiles show up when I chose Edit Object tool / Properties / Color Conversion.

Strange (but not that unexpected) though, only gray color profiles in ...\Adobe\Color\Profiles\Recommended show up in Output Preview and convert colors (prepress tools). For Edit Object tool / Properties / Color Conversion *all* gray profiles are shown, whether they are inside the recommended folder or not.

Maybe on OS X you have to put the profiles inside the recommended folder for it to be shown/work?

Acrobat X on Windows 7: Gray color profiles show up when I chose Edit Object tool / Properties / Color Conversion.

Strange (but not that unexpected) though, only gray color profiles in ...\Adobe\Color\Profiles\Recommended show up in Output Preview and convert colors (prepress tools). For Edit Object tool / Properties / Color Conversion *all* gray profiles are shown, whether they are inside the recommended folder or not.

Maybe on OS X you have to put the profiles inside the recommended folder for it to be shown/work?

That is curious… I have tried all profile locations on OS X (Adobe, System, User etc).

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back