Advice on Nexpress image stability

UK Printer

Afternoon All,

we bought a nexpress 2500 a few months ago, we are applying a SPOT UV to the business cards that are printed on the nexpress.

Initially all seemed to be working fine, then for the last 3 months ish we've had an issue with the image not staying the same size on the run.

I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas, we are working to tolerances that are probably too tight, so this isn't a criticism of the nexpress, its a workhorse and has been chugging out fantastic work all this time.

We begin printing a small spot UV business card run of 21 sheets for example, our total printed width is 433 mm and the nexpress is printing 432.5 then as the run goes on it'll grow in size to around 432.8 perhaps 432.9

Next job we put in does the same, job starts on printing one size and then its off again. We've tried all sorted to get to the bottom of it.

The upshot is that were now trying to fix the problem by developing a camera based regiostration system for the UV machine, that will pick up on printed register marks and compensate for the image skew and growth or shrinkage in the printed image on the run.

I just thought i would pose the question, see if we could save ourselves a lot of hassle.

We did have an issue with the size in the printed width shrinking randomly across the run, as much as 1.6mm at times, however this turned out to be due to a fuser roller needing to be replaced, not the main fuser roll, some smaller roller.

Kodak have no idea what could be causing the image growth from start to finish of the job.

I must point our we are dealing with ridiculour tolerances here, once again the press is a good one, we might just be expecting a bit too much.

If anyone else has had a similar issue, could they enlighten me (tried the obvious, different papers, grain direction etc, has no impact).

Best Regards

T

Is there any chance it could be caused by a change in temperature? As the run proceeds, I'm assuming the press will heat up, and UV curing lamps give off A LOT of heat.

Increased ventilation? Preheat the stock?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back