AE10 upgrade for full service customers $$

D

dgraves

Just got out of a very confusing meeting called by Esko. The meeting was supposed to be about the new version and what it can do for us. Within the first 5 minutes I was told that as a full service customer I would have to pay Esko for installation of the upgrade (approx $7k).
They stated that they knew I received all software upgrades free of cost, but that I would have to pay for the install. After 20 minutes, I was then told that he would waive the installation fee. He just wanted me to know that this is what Esko was now doing to the full service customers. I felt like I was asked to bend over and then thank them for the privilege.

This is one of the most confusing meetings I have ever had. After the meeting I have re-read our service contract and have yet to find the clause where I have to pay for this upgrade. In addition to the full service the current version of Backstage is developing problems with transparency. These issues are fixed in the AE10 release. I have always had a good relationship with Esko and do not understand their change of doing business.

If anyone else has encountered this type of service/meeting from Esko, please let me know or post to this thread.

Esko

Esko

I have about 15 years of experience with ESKO, and never heard or had this issue. The software update is always “Free” included with the maintenance contract. I never expected ESKO to install and configure the workflow, so I was never asked to pay extra money. I believe this is a misunderstanding, so if you tell them that you can upgrade and configure the new software they will not ask you for any additional money. BTW some other companies will tell you to bend over multiple times for the same thing.
Regards,
Joe Novak

Im confused. AE10 is a brand new product with new functionality. I would have expected to pay something for this. Its not like you are upgrading from a previous version of AE10. Did you have Nexus or Backstage?

Esko

Esko

Just to clarify things, if you have the Backstage the upgrade is free. If you decide that you want to add another screening etc. You will have to pay for it. Free means ESKO will send you the DVD’s then is up to you what you going to do with the DVD’s.

Joe Novak

P.S. I am consulting for another week, if you need help please let me know.

AE10 upgrade

AE10 upgrade

Hi all:

Nice to see some Esko talk here.

We are Backstage users with full support/service contract. Esko has quoted a hefty AE10 price but as Joe says, (hi Joe), it is not for the software; it is for installation and training. Because Esko says AE10 is so different Esko is strongly recommending six days of training, (in our case there are newer folks here who have never had any and would benefit from formal training). It has also been stated that the new software is so different that it is not so much an upgrade as it is a new install/configuration.

Could we do the install/configure ourselves? (almost rhetorical question). Could we do it with minimal loss of production time? I know that about 8 months ago when we moved Backstage to a new server, Esko strongly advised that we not do it ourselves and said they would charge us for 3 hours of technician time. It ended up taking most of the day plus some tuning over the next few days to get it done and I did not see a bill. I was more comfortable having an Esko expert get it right even though production was interrupted longer than projected. (ain't that usually the case, surprise!)

One idea we are looking into is borrowing/renting temporary server space for our current Backstage and then shipping the box to Esko to install. That way we can stay up and running and I think spend less $$$ to bring an Esko installer on site for two days. Also this would hopefully assure that install did not eat into training time. I don't even know if Esko will sign off on this yet. Anyone have thoughts on this?

On Dave Mainwaring's old computer-to-plate list discussion of pricing was often frowned upon. Is it okay here? I will discuss actual number privately and will say here that the price we were quoted for Install was less than $7000 and the training portion was more than $7000. Is this difference due to the scope of the install? If you use FlexRips, FastImpose and Packedge is the price higher? Do other quotes include training and if so how much?

Any and all input appreciated. Hope to keep this thread alive!!

best regards,

stephen

Esko

Esko

All you people that are complainig should see what Kodak will do for you,or for that matter Agfa.

Regards,

Joe Novak

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back