Agfa Apogee PDF-RIP connection problem

Hi Guys,

Hopefully someone can point in the right direction.

Currently running Apogee Pdf Rip series 2 v2 to a separate computer running Printdrive which drives the Selectset Avantra 25E.

My problem is that the SCSI hard drives on the Pdf Rip has crashed on me and nothing was recoverable so i have managed to reinstall Windows 2000 Pro with SP4 and Apogee Pdf Rip on a new IDE hard drive.

Now i cant get the Pdf Rip to start up, error message ( There is a problem with the connected device - Do you wish to cancel or retry )

All the Rip Tuner Settings is still in default.

Dongle is in place - is there suppose to be a dongle driver?? as i can't find any on the cds.

Network is setup and can communicate with the printdrive and other front end workstations

I have also ran all the updates for Windows 2000 and Apogee.
In Apogee system requirements it says to use Windows 2000 SP2 and i have updated to SP4 so im not sure if this is effecting it i doubt it though.

Any help much appreciated,

Thanks
Akira

Last edited:
Hi Vlad,

Yes i do use Pilot.

My start up procedure starts with firing up the Printdrive on another workstation and load Printdrive, then on another workstation fire up the Apogee Pdf Rip - load Pdf Rip and then load Pilot in that order.

I preview my jobs on the printdrive.

Thanks

BTW What is your output device in RIP configuration? (RIP Tuner)
Physical device as Avantra or Null or PrintDrive?

Last edited:
At the moment the Output device in Rip Tuner is on APIS which is default.

There is 3 options to choose from.

APIS
File
Null

Thanks

That's from RIP User Guide
Device
This option allows you to set individual output device options for output to a
physical output device (APIS), to a TIFF file, to a “null” device (for testing), or
to an Apogee PrintDrive (optional). Refer to your “Apogee PrintDrive User’s
Guide” for more information on the RIP Tuner settings for Apogee PrintDrive.

i have tried all the options that is there while leaving everything else on default still no connection.

also tried putting output device on file while telling the tuner that the job list folder is on the Print Drive job list shared folder over the network but still no luck.

There is also an option for Raster data and it gives you the option to choose a drive, but there is no network or shared folders in this option, only C: drive in which the Pdf Rip is installed on.

Ill get back tomorrow with some more specific details if it will help.

Thanks again.
Akira

If you have NO network connection at your RIP PC - Apogee RIP will never star properly!!!

Last edited:
when i try to put the output device on APIS thats when i get the error in connection error msg.

and when output device is on File i get no connection error msgs and i can print to also print to it from the MAC but it wont connect to my Print Drive.

they can all definitely see each other over the network. just cant get pdf rip to connect to the print drive.

few screen shots attached.

Thanks

device.jpg

device2.jpg

rip.jpg

server.jpg

Last edited:
You do not have PRINDRIVE at RIP Tuner -> RIP window! Only APIS, Null and File.
You have to see one more option - PrintDrive!
Please read your User Manual for PrintDrive chapter Input Device or something like that.
I don't have original PrintDrive CD to find that explanation.
Too many years gone when I worked on local Workflow for Avantra.

Printdrive is actually pretty good.

Im not sure how you would que, preview and select different output devices without the printdrive, never done it this way.

Well the good news is i've finally got connection between the printdrive and pdf-rip.

There was actually some files that needed to be installed from the Printdrive installation cd (Rip Connection Folder) for the Printdrive option to appear in the Rip Tuner output device section.

Then it will tell you to restart and send 2 files through the pilot for it to run properly.

Thanks for the all the help.

If anyone needs any more info please let me know.

Hallo Akira,
I was forced to format the PDF Rip server, and reinsttall it again, now iam having a problem sending a file from Apoogee pilot server to RIP server.
I get this massage error: Nt que not found.
could you please advise
Nabil

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back