Agfa ApogeeX without PrintDrive

We recently picked up an ApogeeX server from an auction as a back-up for our current system. Our current system uses PrintDrive to image plates. Files are store on the PrintDrive server so that they can be replated at any time. Our new system bypasses the PrintDrive server and prints directly from the ApogeeX client. I was wondering how someone is able to replate a job without reprocessing the entire job? What workflow process allows you to store the job so that it can be replated?

I'm using Apogee Prepress 5, but we don't send plates from it, so I can't confidently answer your question because it might depend upon parameters in task processors I don't have.

Try adding an "Archive Result" action to your platesetter or RIP task processor in the job plan, then archive, restore and plate to see if it rips it again.

We are still using Printdrive for storing raster images, plating and proofing. It requires the "Printdrive" task processor which may cost extra to install. Apogee Prepress sends the raster images to Printdrive in the same manner that series 3 did, and we can update just single pages without reripping entire flats because we have the DQS option on our Printdrive server. I would much prefer this over having everything within Apogee Prepress. If our RIP goes down, we still have already ripped jobs in Printdrive that we can plate if the customer doesn't request changes, and if the Printdrive server goes down, we can rerip into a new temporary reincarnation of Printdrive. If everything were in Apogee Prepress and it had a major failure, the press guys would have to take a short vacation. Another advantage is that one machine can be ripping while another is plating a job and proofing another. If all of this were on one machine, the resources would be divided. Of all the Agfa software I have seen, I would say Printdrive is the most well-made by far.

Rendering is maths and it is consistent, time and time again. With a given set of parameters it will produce identical results. We have no storing of ripped data, but have re rendered plates, even after edits in the PDF and never found that he screen was not usable. I would think that the reliability of media is your weakest link, and therefore storing large files is imo a wasted resource.
You can save files in the system, if you like by just addind a save action, but I never do.
Also if there is a change in process so that you need to compesate your TVI curve, then you will get more consistent appearance of printed material by using an up to date TVI curve than repeating the imaging of the same dots.
So the question is WHY do you want to save the digital film?

I would disagree, Lukas. I've had many instances in which a file will fail on one side of the workflow and process fine on the other, even though they should be using the same math. It might proof fine, but fail on the plating side. Plus, re-rendering is a waste of time. Because the poster wants to make a new plate, without changes, he shouldn't have to wait for the whole thing to trap and color separate again.

Sorry I don't understand what you mean by one side of the workflow.
We do language versions, where we may re render one colour, and it fitts on the dot each time.

My reason for needing to store the finished raster file was so that a separation could be replated by a pressman in need of a new plate without having to reprocess the entire job.

What time span are we talking about?
Our files are defaulting to a week before archiving and deleting. Within that time most jobs are printed, and it is no problem to reimage a plate if needed. Agfa even have a light client called platemaker, do that pressmen can easily reimage.

For other jobs they are archived on a SAN (this keeps the server maintanence down). It is possible in your workflow to save raster, we did not choose to do that because the time spent shuffling the excess data is more than the time to render those times we need to remake a plate.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back