Agfa/Fuji Thermal Plates

bernardce

Hi again,

Are there anyone here already uses either agfa/fuji thermal plates to a Kodak/Creo Trendsetters? Care to discuss the pros/cons?

Thanks

Bernard...

Agfa has 5 or so thermal plates certified by Kodak/Creo
to work on the Trendsetter... so it perhaps matters more
what plate has the best fit for your requirement.

What are your requirements/desires in a plate???

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the response. Our requirements for a thermal plate should be similar to Kodak Thermal News Gold as well as these additional infos: 1] Negative and 2] Thickness of 30

Thanks,

Bernard:

There are indeed options available - certified by Kodak/Creo.

Not knowing your operation, I'd rather have a local Agfa
agent look at your needs beyond those you mentioned.

UV ink?, Run length? Chem-free? No-Bake? These are
all things to consider.

Regards,

nice info. are you into newspaper or commercial printing? any difference when it comes to result as well price of plates?

Hi Steve,

Run length should be around 200k, with chemistry and baked.

thanks

Bernard:

There are indeed options available - certified by Kodak/Creo.

Not knowing your operation, I'd rather have a local Agfa
agent look at your needs beyond those you mentioned.

UV ink?, Run length? Chem-free? No-Bake? These are
all things to consider.

Regards,

nice info. are you into newspaper or commercial printing? any difference when it comes to result as well price of plates?

Commercial, packaging, and various other specialties. It's primarily the locations decision but it's mostly split between Kodak and Fuji. Used to be more Agfa but when they made the changes in manufacturing years ago that screwed everyone up they lost a lot and never got it back.

Being basically split between the two keep the prices in check.

Hi Steve,

Run length should be around 200k, with chemistry and baked.

thanks

P970 can be baked but without baking gives about 100 000 impressions. Energy Elite runs up to 350 000 without baking with standard inks (150 000 for UV inks). Both plates can be baked for more 1 mln impression.
May you use Amigo which can be baked also but is more chemical friendly.

I was thinking of switching over to the Agfa Energy Elite and running them on my existing Trendsetter. I am glad you started this thread. Did anyone have any problems?

We use both plates here on our Trendsetter. The Fuji washes up on the press with a few rotations of ink and water, whereas the Agfa goes through a plate processor using their wash. Cost wise, Fuji about $22/plate - Agfa $19 but you have to add the chemistry as well. Biggest drawback to the Agfa is that I can only find 2 dealers in New England. Of course having a technician come back out at $200/hr to zoom and focus a second plate is an expensive venture.

I generally stay away from Agfa. Not because of the quality of the plates, but they want to lock you into a three year consumables agreement that includes using a minimum number of plates.

Cool, thanks for the info.... I am almost at the end of my Kodak consumables agreement and have not been happy with the product... I will check into both... Thank you!

Hi again,

Are there anyone here already uses either agfa/fuji thermal plates to a Kodak/Creo Trendsetters? Care to discuss the pros/cons?

Thanks

Bernardce, is there any reason you had not thought about using Konica's NIR II Negative Thermal plate.

We get 200K impressions unbaked, and over a mil baked.

Certified on the Creo units up to 200 LPI, with a 1 - 99 resolution.

FitExtra plates specifications looks "extra" but who knows if that values are real? This is Xingraphics plate made in PRC... I've heard about some patents violation by that company so I'm not sure is it a reliable supplier... What do you think about that?

Last edited:
Check our website for FitXtra thermal plates.
Note these are positive plates, at unbeatable pricing.

I have recently converted from negative to positive thermals. My local plate supplier in Los Angeles offers a MUCH better pricing than the FitXtra thermals on the website. That price for positive thermals can definitely be beaten.

Last edited:
I have recently converted from negative to positive thermals. My local plate supplier in Los Angeles offers a MUCH better pricing than the FitXtra thermals on the website. That price for positive thermals can definitely be beaten.

Show me. Offset quality thermals, not news.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back