agfa Taipan 3.01 help

fourstate

i am trying to install agfa taipan 3.1 on windows nt4.0 servicepack 6, netwoking seem to be setup fine using dhcp , i can access the internet and other computers and they can access the rip machine. when i launch taipan rip and the rip pilot the imager view connects to rip , which it is named and the imager view finds the engine with the correct resolution and settings. but i cant fiind it in agfaset.exe under tcpip and i cant create a printer in nt with the pipe \\.pipe\taipan .but it shows that is the name of the pipe in tuner. there are no errors starting all services and devices,
Im confused, any help would be appreciated
thanks

Last edited:
i am trying to install agfa taipan 3.1 on windows nt4.0 servicepack 6, netwoking seem to be setup fine using dhcp , i can access the internet and other computers and they can access the rip machine. when i launch taipan rip and the rip pilot the imager view connects to rip , which it is named and the imager view finds the engine with the correct resolution and settings. but i cant fiind it in agfaset.exe under tcpip and i cant create a printer in nt with the pipe \\.pipe\taipan .but it shows that is the name of the pipe in tuner. there are no errors starting all services and devices,
Im confused, any help would be appreciated
thanks

I see where you say you are using DHCP, can you try with static IP.
NT networking and named pipes can be difficult. Been awhile since I dealt with your setup but it can work
Be sure to restart everything.

Yes i tried a static ip, and still i could see other computers on the network but the pipe still didnt work.
thanks for the idea.

Yes i tried a static ip, and still i could see other computers on the network but the pipe still didnt work.
thanks for the idea.

The proper form for a named pipe is \\.\pipe\Taipan. It appeared in your post that the \ between the . and pipe was left out. If that is the case then delete the port setup you currently have then redo the Add Port, and so on to create the named pipe again as editing it won't work. Taipan's NT rig also definitely needs a static IP address. Additionally, did you select the proper PPD for the named pipe and give it a recognizable name for network use. We usually used either Taipan or the name of the imager. If you are running agfaset.exe on the NT machine, then this should fix the issue.

i will check it again with the static , but i dont have a printer setup because nt tells me it cant add port \\.\pipe\Taipan.

tried static agaiin to make sure and i could not name a new printer port with the pipe form \\.\pipe\Taipan , if the name of the computer is Rip and the pipe is default Taipan should the pipe be \\rip\pipe\Taipan ?
Thanks

tried static agaiin to make sure and i could not name a new printer port with the pipe form \\.\pipe\Taipan , if the name of the computer is Rip and the pipe is default Taipan should the pipe be \\rip\pipe\Taipan ?
Thanks

No. \\.\pipe\Taipan tell the pipe where to send received files. Did you delete your previous entry and restart the PC?

i dont have a previous entry nt hasnt let me add that as a new port it gives an error. when i try to.
and i have used the pipe in the form you have suggested i just typed it in wrong on this forum i tripple checked
it when it wouldnt let me create a new port, but i also tried substituting the . for the name of the rip.
thanks

i dont have a previous entry nt hasnt let me add that as a new port it gives an error. when i try to.
and i have used the pipe in the form you have suggested i just typed it in wrong on this forum i tripple checked
it when it wouldnt let me create a new port, but i also tried substituting the . for the name of the rip.
thanks

I presume you are following the procedure of selecting Settings/Printers/Add Printer/Add Port/Local Port then giving the port name as \\.\pipe\Taipan. This should get you back to the Add Printer window and the \\.\pipe\Taipan should be listed as a printer that can be selected. If it is not showing (or you can't add the port) then something is wrong with NT and it may have to be reinstalled to correct whatever is causing the error. Click on its box to select it then click Next. Taipan 3.01 can only be used for AGFA imagers, so select AGFA as the manufacturer, then select the imager that you are using. Enter a printer name and No as the default printer. Next pop-up window select Shared and enter a shared name for the printer. Should get a box asking for the NT CD, so put it in and click OK. At this point it is ready to use. Again, if this does not allow creation of the named pipe then reload NT as this is a basic service of NT and something is wrong with the installation of NT.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back