Any thoughts on the PDF Standarizer by Alwan & Enfocus

Hi,

I am currently evaluating the Alwan CMYK Pre-Press Optimizer and the Enfocus Pit Stop Server. $10K software.

Basically we need a way to pre-flight the pdfs and make them print ready for either the Presstek DI or our HP Indigo. Also to make sure that the TAC is not more than 300% as the Indigo has problems printing anything over 300% ink densities.

I have been testing this and the only issue i think is this software - one from Alwan and another from Enfocus are packaged into one, but they do not talk between each other, other than the hot folders. I would really appreciate if any of you guys are using this solutions and what do they think, specially:

- what it is good for?

- where does it suck?

- any other or better solutions?

Alwan and Enfocus

Alwan and Enfocus

These are probably the tools that I would use. Both are very easy to use and stable. Alwan has a very robust set of tools for not only Total Density, but Ink reduction as well. Enfocus has many solutions for automating a workflow both by Hotfolder and via XML.

You mentioned that Enfocus would only process via hotfolder. Is there another way that you would like to do it?

dipressforum - I think that ALWAN is awesome. I am unsure that PitStop server has a connector, so it may be that the cascading folder option is the best option - although you might send an email to "Chris Heric" <[email protected]> - he might be able to confirm if there are any other options.

I know that ALWAN is a crossroads partner - so their may be other options with the Enfocus SWITCH product.

Best of luck !

The only way to link these together that I know of is by hotfolders. If you need to bring some automated decision making into the workflow, Enfocus Switch would be a smart addition.

Another option for color inspection is PDFToolBox Server from Callas Software.

You can do some automation with applescript if you know it, but I'd be wary of developing too much in applescript right now as Apple is telling developers to sandbox their apps to use API's by March 2012 which will drive us into using solutions like Switch.

Alwan CMYK Optimizer is an excellent product. It makes a lot of very complex operations approachable. What sucks about it? Nothing.

I use PitStop constantly, but not the server product - so I can't really comment on that. What are you trying to do with it?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back