Apogee Impose Help!

oxburger

Here's the situation. We have a ten-up layout of a single page that has 1/8" margins between pages. We want to have a 1/16" bleed between pages but still have 1/8" bleed around the outside of the imposed pages. Whenever we change the bleed to 1/16" to get what we need for the inner margins, it changes the bleed on all 4 sides and crops the bleed around the outside of the imposed pages to 1/16". Hope this makes sense. See attached. We've tried setting face trims, spine trims and have played around with bleed and margin settings, all to no avail.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 210
One thing to remember about Apogee Impose is that bleed has no control over the space between elements. It is only a setting that will allow an image to extend beyond the final trim size provided there is a margin (trim).
If you are not yet running Prepress 7.1 acomplishing what you want is a little tricky. What you need to do is set your job with 10 parts instead of 1. Then you can adjust the margin on each individual card. You can leave the bleed to 1/8 on all the cards and just alter the margin. For example the card, say 1, in the bottom left corner of the sheet would have a left side and bottom margin of 1/8 and a top and right side of 1/32. The card next to it, say 2, would have a bottom of 1/8 and a top, left and right of 1/32. When you populate the run list you drag the same page in to all 10 positions.
If you are at 7.1 this is much easier. In the press sheet view position the cursor in the gap between two elements then click and hold. You'll see red ballons show up. Select the one that says vertical or horizontal gap. Now you can adjust the gap either between the margins or page trims. You'll want to select page trim and set it to 1/16. Repeat this for all the gaps on the sheet.
-Phil Crosby, Senior Trainer, Academy, Expert Services, Agfa Graphics North America

Phil,

When we set the page gaps, the bleeds are overlapping. How do we set it so that the bleeds clip .0625 into the margins and not overlap the other pages?

Thanks,

Kevin

Phil,

When we set the page gaps, the bleeds are overlapping. How do we set it so that the bleeds clip .0625 into the margins and not overlap the other pages?

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin,

That's the beuaty of how Apogee Impose works. You don't need to adjust them. An element will only bleed as much as gap or trim allows. In press sheet view the bleed lines will make it appear the elements will overlap but that is only the bleed line indicator.

-Phil

Phil,

I understand that's what SHOULD be happening. But the bleeds actually overlap when sending through to printdrive. The bleeds are not stopping in the gap. The left side of the pages on the right are bleeding a full 1/8" on the left side and end up in the work of the page to it's left. I tried posting a screen grab, but for some reason I can't upload it here. If you shoot me an email, I can send it directly to you to show you what's happening.

[email protected]

Thanks,

Kevin

This is getting very OT, but it's just too labour intensive for a start. Reusing old Preps templates is so much faster. With Impose everything has to be remade everytime.

Hi rotarypower3,

Just out of curiosity, have you found Apogee Impose incapable of accomplishing what you're asking of it?

Best regards,
hp

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back