Apogee taipan and supported OSs.

kasra

Greetings,

We are using an Avantra 44s with Apogee Taipan 3.1 on windows 2000. We would like to upgrade to windows 2003 or higher. Is it possible to do so,using the mention combination of hardware and software?

Thanks,
Kasra

First of all, you have to determine what your reason is for upgrading the platform. If your looking for more speed from the RIP, it is probably going faster than the AV44 can image anyway. If your intent is to upgrade the PC first with future intent on upgrading the RIP, you should save the money for now, PUT IT ASIDE...., and utilize it toward the new system as a whole. The PC is the least expensive piece of the equation so upgrading in pieces doesn't make sense. Just make sure you are getting what you pay for. SOME like to put high prices on the PC's to make you think you are getting something special. Most of the boxes are good these days and if purchased through a reputable manufacturer will have a 1 to 3 yr. warranty.

Thanks,but...

Thanks,but...

Dear DonBlock,

Thanks for all the good advice. Our reason is not upgrading the RIP or any hardware. Our problem is Win 2000 is now archaic and unsafe and we like to have a more modern and stable operating system. Thanks to lack of any online documentation, minimum requirement info and support, we even don't know what is the highest working version Apogee software and which version of windows it works on.

Regards,
Kasra

I understand that Win2k is an older OS, but it is a very stable OS. If the PC is only operating as a RIP then there should be no security issues. If you are using it for other applications and don't want to upgrade the RIP, then you should purchase a separate PC for the other applications. We can provide a new Harlequin RIP so you would be able to support all of the current applications with a new PC for less than you would think.

I agree with Don. Win2k is rock solid. It's also the newest OS Taipan 3 will run on. I've tried and tried to run it on XP, it won't.

If you need a faster machine, buy one and load win2k on it (make sure you have all the hardware drivers first!!)

If you want a better rip (and believe me Harlequin is a better rip!) Don isn't the only harlequin dealer here.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back