Automation Workflow - Which to choose?

Hello everyone,

I work as a pre-press designer in a Carton/paper Packaging Business, and a long time ago I was searching for a good workflow that has my specifications.

Well, I want a workflow that can integrate with a database of my MIS if possible.
Want to create a number for each job I create so I can identify easily (I think this occurs in the most workflow softwares).
Make possible a imposition software can print the number of the job in the package (automatically by "smartmarks").
Create a pdf with all the details I want of one certain job to send to the client or to internal use.

I already had seen a demonstration of the Automation Engine by Esko, it appears to be cool, but first is too expensive (around 40mil dollars) and second it doesn't integrate with my MIS, it only accepts to import a xml file, but If I do a change in automation engine, my MIS doesn't sync and I want to sync.

I want to know which software is better for me. What you recommend?
I searched for brands and I discovered like Enfocus, Agfa, Xerox, Esko, Kodak but there is low information for me to understand which is better.

By the way, PREPS from Kodak is only for books/magazines or is for packaging too? In this moment I'm using Pandora from Kodak, but I do not like much, PREPS seem to be more complete.

integrated Machine JDF to MIS Systems

integrated Machine JDF to MIS Systems

Ricardo

Several years back we started the integration of Metrix to our product DataManager for automation of Job Planning and Layouts. DataManager has been integrated to many different MIS systems, mostly large enterprise systems like Oracle, SAP, JD Edwards, as well as many smaller home brew systems. Machine JDF has been available from most Ripping/Trapping/Workflow system for years now, but there lies a great gap in the workflows when it comes to integrating JDF with MIS systems. The standard concepts has been that an MIS system needs the ability to "speak JDF" which they all may claim they do, but in reality they are far from usable.
DataManager solved that problem by building DataBridge. A Service that accepts XML, JDF, ODBC, CSV, Excel, using a fully configurable design to create files to feed Metrix Planning engine through automation.
Books, Folders, or Flat work can all get processed into Layouts, and all the Layout information is being harvested by DataManager, including the JDF output from Metrix, and turned into "Display JDF".
This integration with DataManager's Asset Management combines the workflows to receive, prepare, and approve the Graphic files and has tools to drill into PDF files to ensure separations, sizes, trim boxes, page counts match the order, which get automatically combined into the Metrix Layouts as required. DataManager is also an Item based database for companies with Reprint work, and also has extensive support for Packaging companies with integration with Artios CAD to match the structure ARD files with the Planning Graphics to ensure all specifications and requirements have been approved, again with visibility through the Web Portal.
The biggest limitations to MIS integration is that many of them do not support "ganging" like or unlike components on the same layouts. Many restrictions like "must be the same Customer" or they do not support all the complexity of managing multi component work (Books) properly, or even splitting and simple order onto 2 different layouts, and without the machine JDF data, change orders without visibility for verification causes many mistakes. DataBridge, DataManager and Metrix creates a fully automated solution you are looking for.

Steve MacKenzie

wow, that's a pretty sophisticated system. Do you have video demos available somewhere to get a feel for it?

ricreis394, you did not mention the name of your MIS, or what database it uses or how it can talk to 3rd party systems, either input or output.

You will find high levels of automation with Kodak Prinergy Powerpack, Kodak Pandora, Kodak Prinergy Powerpack Packaging Layout Automation (PLA) and Kodak Prinergy Powerpack Rules Based Automation (RBA)

[disclosure, I work for a Kodak packaging reseller]

You should probably talk to your local Kodak dealer. Automation via PLA may make Pandora less visible if you don’t like it.

If you don’t like Pandora and think that Esko is too expensive, then another stand alone packaging step and repeat option is Phoenix from Tilia Labs. Of course, a packaging workflow is more than just automated step and repeat of art to CAD dies…

Tilia Labs Phoenix - Tilia Labs

[disclosure, I have no affiliation with Tilia Labs, however I did join the public beta/pre-release test of Phoenix].

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
Steve,

Thanks. It looks interesting but I can't find any good link (with good information, screenshots or videos), do you know any link that you can provide us?

Very thanks.

Stephen, about you said about kodak, I will try to get informed about what you said, Thanks.
About Tilia Labs Phoenix, I saw the website and I liked the software. It gets syncronized with my MIS.

My MIS is phc (http://www.phc.pt/ or http://www.slideshare.net/PHCsoftware/phc-software-institutional-presentation), I think it's a software from portugal. Maybe you don't know about him.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back