Automation?

Prepper

Hi, we are a small company with 2 people in prepress, low volume and not much variety in what we print. We currently use Preps and our work consists mainly of 5.5x8.5 black only text for our web press and 6-color covers for those books and 4-color magazines on our sheetfed 6-8 times a year.

I guess what I'm asking is there any way to streamline our imposition with just Preps alone?

We create all our own files in-house with Indesign, export to PDF, place into Preps and impose. Our impositions are a little complicated in that our web is running them 2up, double parallel and so we put 2 different titles up on the templates when we can or run one title 2up when we don't have another to match with it.

I've thought of making master jobs for each sig combination we need and then just replacing the pages in the run list, or placeholder, with the current book. Is there anything further we could do with JDF and Preps alone? Or does using JDF require some other form of workflow in addition? Where can I learn about that or what the possibilities might be?

With our low volume and basically one or two types of jobs, are we doing the best we can, or need to, by just dropping the PDFs into Preps manually and outputting? My thoughts on this are to mostly streamline the checking stage where we know if the job is dropped into a certain Master template or job that it will be correct. We are our own customer so have to approve our own jobs, so we do a lot of checking that a customer would normally do and sign off on I guess in a commercial shop.

Thanks for any help.

The output is PDF plate size files that go into a Xitron Navigator (Harlequin) rip and are output to plates in a Screen PTR-6600 setter.

Automation 2013 a four day automation event is set to introduce new and upcoming technology this year. Be it factory automation, robotics, drives and controls, logistics, hydraulics and pneumatics, Building automation, pumps and valves and software solutions, it is termed as India's biggest Automation show of the year. The show is dedicated to the introduction of the new automation techniques that can be used for supreme efficiency and productivity at various levels for different industries. As always, the industry is hungry for new technologies and this place gives you an opportunity to interact with the best of the technology minds.

Just did a quick search, and it looks like Preps is scriptable.

JDF would probably be generated through your RIP or your MIS system. I'm sure that there are modules that could be purchased.

You could look into Switch for automation. There's no configurator for Preps, that I'm aware of, but there is a configurator for inpO2. I think you could set up with inpO2 pretty inexpensively. The upside to working with Switch is that you could begin to look at automating other parts of your workflow, too.

If you're interested in automation and latest generation tools, do take a look at Metrix. Full automation, full manual operation and everything in between. 98% of those buying Metrix are died-in-the-wool Preps users. Check it out if you're interested in knowing why.

misterdavo,

I'm surprised that I don't read or hear more about Metrix on this forum. Preps has been the only imposition software that I've ever used and to this day I still hate it. You would think that after 10 plus years that I would have grown to like it. I've viewed the Metrix video's on-line, liked what I saw and have bent the "higher ups" ears about your product, but money is money.

-Erik

Metrix rocks!

I have seen Metrix and it is a very powerful solution. I don't think you hear about that much because it is pretty small on its users compared to the other solutions (preps, dynagram etc..). I expect in a few more years you will start seeing a lot of preps users switching to Metrix or something else like it with the whole job planning capabilities.

Metamation Imp is way ahead of Metrix

Metamation Imp is way ahead of Metrix

I have seen Metrix and it is a very powerful solution. I don't think you hear about that much because it is pretty small on its users compared to the other solutions (preps, dynagram etc..). I expect in a few more years you will start seeing a lot of preps users switching to Metrix or something else like it with the whole job planning capabilities.

We have been using Metamation IMP and it is the most amazing software for auto planning and layout creation of any type of print job - Commercial Printing, Labels, Packaging and Publishing.

We took the demo during Drupa 2012 of both Metamation and Metrix. As we do all type of jobs we found Metamation more suitable and powerful.

Metrix only deal with Rectangular Jobs and that too planning is not fully automated - one has to select the folding template (8pp, 16pp etc.) and Metrix only suggests the sheet size from paper inventory. On top of it Auto ganging is too slow.

Metamation Imp is fully automated solution, it selects the folding template, press sheet, press based on cost parameters automatically based on Job information. For packaging, it has better solution than most of other packaging software provide. Its auto ganging for regular and irregular shape is blazing fast and amazing.

With all these functionalities, It is the most affordable solution in terms of price.

If you are a pro, study the solution and give Metamation a fair chance.

misterdavo,

I'm surprised that I don't read or hear more about Metrix on this forum. Preps has been the only imposition software that I've ever used and to this day I still hate it. You would think that after 10 plus years that I would have grown to like it. I've viewed the Metrix video's on-line, liked what I saw and have bent the "higher ups" ears about your product, but money is money.

-Erik

Erik,

For a shop to consider Metrix as simply a replacement for an existing Preps installation - the value is not always quickly obvious. Most of our customers looked first at the benefits that Metrix brings to other departments, before work even gets to Prepress. The fact it makes Preps un-necessary is just a nice byproduct. And if cash is an issue let us know - options are available and the cost is probably less than you think.

As for the other planning/imposition solution mentioned later in this thread: I won't get into a competitive argument. I'll simply say 'all that glitters is not gold'.

Metrix

Metrix

Could be useful for anyone interested, you need to register though at the URL below!

Please join Enfocus and All Systems Integration as we demonstrate the Enfocus Switch - PitStop Server - Metrix Integration

We will walk you through a workflow designed around Enfocus Switch that takes job specifications from your MIS system, automatically preflight's customer supplied files through Enfocus PitStop Server, builds content rich MXML files, and then processes those files through Metrix to create press ready imposed JDF/PDF files for output.

Enfocus

Ok, thanks for the response, Metrix has always looked good and the Switch solution would be great also I'm sure, just looking to see what we can do with what we have for now. I have created "Master" jobs now for each different page length we print, 32, 40, 48pg etc and saved them with Placeholders. I simply open the Preps Master job replace one or two fileholders, save, print and done. Surely there must be a way to script this to be automatic with a hotfolder or something? I'm not a scripter but have excellent people here who can help me with that. Does this sound possible to you or any of you did something like this before?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back