Avantra 25 Weird OCP flash error

jeredbrent

Hey all,

We have a Avantra 25 that has been having strange OCP issues since we moved into our new building.
The OCP keeps loosing its firmware but we could always reflash the OCP hex and get it operational again.
(We have strange power issues in our new building.)
Our art department powers the Avantra down at night before they leave and boot it back up in the morning and get the blank screen on the LCD.
Normally, we just fire up Avdiag, flashrom, Prog OCP, use the ocp0701.hex and tada! The screen fires up after a reboot.

However, today a new issue came up.
The LCD/OCP had a strange error on boot up: "00 01 BM DL v15" & "Cl Err" (see attached image)

I retried the normal OCP flashing procedure and immediately received a new error "APIS Command Error: Illegal Command". (Avdiag showed "Erasing 00:00:00" right before the error appeared.)
After pressing a key, it showed another screen "Command: PROG_OCP".

I then rebooted the Avantra and restarted Avdiag.
To my surprise, the DEC and DSP firmware were gone!
Avdiag displayed 0.0 for DEC/DSP firmware and a new status: Blank FlashRom...
I reflashed the DEC and DSP/Corr table hex files with our backups and rebooted.
The firmware was retained (*whew*).

I then tried flashing the OCP again and received the same errors.
The DEC and DSP firmware were also gone again!

Has anyone else experienced this?
Does that sound like the OCP is dead?
The sticker on the side of the OCP reads: 2525-520 REV E & 209291-501 REV B2

Luckily we have an older Avantra 1000 that I brought back from the grave to get production working again.

Looking for some expertise or suggestions...

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

J

Attachments

• IMG_4560[1].JPG
    IMG_4560[1].JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 346
Hey all,

We have a Avantra 25 that has been having strange OCP issues since we moved into our new building.
The OCP keeps loosing its firmware but we could always reflash the OCP hex and get it operational again.
(We have strange power issues in our new building.)
Our art department powers the Avantra down at night before they leave and boot it back up in the morning and get the blank screen on the LCD.
Normally, we just fire up Avdiag, flashrom, Prog OCP, use the ocp0701.hex and tada! The screen fires up after a reboot.

However, today a new issue came up.
The LCD/OCP had a strange error on boot up: "00 01 BM DL v15" & "Cl Err" (see attached image)

I retried the normal OCP flashing procedure and immediately received a new error "APIS Command Error: Illegal Command". (Avdiag showed "Erasing 00:00:00" right before the error appeared.)
After pressing a key, it showed another screen "Command: PROG_OCP".

I then rebooted the Avantra and restarted Avdiag.
To my surprise, the DEC and DSP firmware were gone!
Avdiag displayed 0.0 for DEC/DSP firmware and a new status: Blank FlashRom...
I reflashed the DEC and DSP/Corr table hex files with our backups and rebooted.
The firmware was retained (*whew*).

I then tried flashing the OCP again and received the same errors.
The DEC and DSP firmware were also gone again!

Has anyone else experienced this?
Does that sound like the OCP is dead?
The sticker on the side of the OCP reads: 2525-520 REV E & 209291-501 REV B2

Luckily we have an older Avantra 1000 that I brought back from the grave to get production working again.

Looking for some expertise or suggestions...

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

J

It is common sense. You need an OCP to check it out. Then what you have down with DEC firmwares is something to look into later. I suggest to check the earth and use UPS for your machine's protection.

Good luck!

Oh,,, that reminds me kids plaied with sick puppy and complained later - Mum, he is dead...
OCP and DEC are in strong logical conjunction to each other.
Killing one you could kill another one.
The correct way was to purchase another OCP and stop playing dangerous game as you did.

Why the flame dude?

Why the flame dude?

Oh,,, that reminds me kids plaied with sick puppy and complained later - Mum, he is dead...
OCP and DEC are in strong logical conjunction to each other.
Killing one you could kill another one.
The correct way was to purchase another OCP and stop playing dangerous game as you did.

Oh,,, that reminds me of a guy that was a d*** and wasn't helpful.

Seriously, who jokes about sick puppies dying?

Regardless, there are no "professional" service repair companies close to our location.
Hiring a professional to travel to us would cost more than buying a used working avantra off ebay.

Lets get back to the original post...
Has anyone seen a similar problem before?
We are gonna give a new OCP a whirl and will post back with results for anyone that might run into the same problem.

It is common sense. You need an OCP to check it out. Then what you have down with DEC firmwares is something to look into later. I suggest to check the earth and use UPS for your machine's protection.

Good luck!

Thanks for the positive input BTW Farshad! ;)

Oh,,, that reminds me of a guy that was a d*** and wasn't helpful.

Seriously, who jokes about sick puppies dying?

Regardless, there are no "professional" service repair companies close to our location.
Hiring a professional to travel to us would cost more than buying a used working avantra off ebay.

Lets get back to the original post...
Has anyone seen a similar problem before?
We are gonna give a new OCP a whirl and will post back with results for anyone that might run into the same problem.

There is no need to look for someone who has experienced the same problem. It is a basic trouble shooting procedure. You have explained it all .The OCP flashrom is unstable. You need to replace OCP. Keep the old one To use some of the parts in the future after the followings actions have been taken.
The first step is to install a UPS and next step us to make sure the building ground is stable.

The next step is to Program the DEC hoping everything will go fine.
Donot do anything extra, you might damage the machine. Period!
. That is what VladCanada meant to say. So try to focus on the problem and not the words. We all included VladCanada contributed to this forum. Let's be friend and stay friends.
If you need a OCP let me know. I have 3 in stock and will give you one for very low price.
Hope this will help.

Last edited:
The OCP module, which contains a dedicated micro-controller, is the main controller
of the system. NOT JUST DISPLAY WITH TOUCHPAD!!! User commands originating from the RIP and/or the operator are
verified, parsed and either acted upon by the OCP or passed to the DEC.
So... Brain and spinal chord are dead now.
Jered went in too far, even over the limits for servicemen.

Last edited:
I've seen this problem several times. The fix turned out to be a new control panel (OCP) or DEC board. Since you have been having issues with the OCP, I would replace the OCP. If you're going to purchase an OCP, have supplier program it with OCP0701.hex software your Avantra is using. This will be a time saver for you.
There is a good tool in AVDIAG, called Monitor mode. When you are having strange problems, launch AVDIAG go into monitor mode, then power up imager. This will display what is going on as the Avantra boots up.
Hope this is some help to you.

STSTech

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back