Avantra 30 going crazy! out of time maybe.

I have a Avantra 30 that has been doing strange things. When I am able to image any film it will always cut a inch of the image off of the tail and it will appear on the next sheet every time. It constantly gives the 03 error code cutter jam. I have checked the cutter switch on the right side. The one that is the park or home position for the cutter. It also has a 197 FlapperB Motor ON Error During boot up but it will bypass it and finish booting up.
Things that have been changed after a big power surge are the DEC board, (it was toasted) The main board on the online processor, processor control panel board.
I was told by a guy that has a print shop up the street that they lost some electrical equipment at the same time my troubles started because of a large power surge.
Thanks Van

Dear Van,

I read your statement and thinking where can I be any help. Definitely, the power supply is the first think you have to look into. I would suggest to download DEC firmwares or replace it. The PCbs toasted!!!!!!!! This is a scary statement and the extend of the Damage is unknown. That means you have to replace the toasted PCBs or possibly thinking about buying a good used Avantra 30 as the cost of spare parts are sky high. Let me know where can I be any help. I have Plenty of Spare Parts and used machines to offer you at very low and affordable price in order to help you out. E-mail: [email protected]

The DEC board was replaced with a new one and the latest firmware was installed. What controls the timing or film feed length?. When it will run film the bottom inch is missing and it is on the top of the next piece of film, but the bottom inch is missing from that one too. The film size is correct but it is imaged in wrong place or cutter may be out of time. It is a big mess. It shows a error code 3 every time but it is not jammed because when I use the cut button manually it will then send film to processor. I wish I had AVDIAG to see what is going on. Thanks

One at the time. Who installed the DEC? You or service Tech from Agfa? When you replaced DEC, did you get backup parameters from the old DEC and downloaded to the new one. If you didn't, you will need to remove the Dec parameter Chip from the old PCb and mount it on the New DEC. I think there is something screwed up in your DEC machine Parameters. Can you swap 2 SDM PCB and let me know if you will get different error codes? Do you have Service Manual, Wiring diagram, Unidiag, Avdiag? if Not do not touch it my friend, you will make it worst. Avdiag alone wouldn't show you much. You will need much more than that.

Last edited:
Your statement means you have vast knowledge in the Field Service Engineering Field. Encoder problem!!! Well done! That is a thought. Please do not hesitate to help our friends, included Van on Print Planet to get their machine up on production, even if it isn't the final solution. We aren't close to their machine, and they are relying on knowledgeable service Tech like you who is honest, open and reliable to help them as much as they could.

All the best from Toronto, Canada

Regards,

Farshad[/QUOTE]

Welcome back to March 1997, Customer Service Bulletin 152 if memory chip replacement wont help ;)

Last edited:
Welcome back to March 1997, Customer Service Bulletin 152 if memory chip replacement wont help ;)

All right,I know. Thanks for reminding me. We have to try to restore the parameters. It hasn't been restored properly.At least I feel this way. :eek:

Last edited:
One at the time. Who installed the DEC? You or service Tech from Agfa? When you replaced DEC, did you get backup parameters from the old DEC and downloaded to the new one. If you didn't, you will need to remove the Dec parameter Chip from the old PCb and mount it on the New DEC. I think there is something screwed up in your DEC machine Parameters. Can you switch 2 SDM PCB and let me know if you will get different error codes? Do you have Service Manual, Wiring diagram, Unidiag, Avdiag? if Not do not touch it my friend, you will make it worst. Avdiag alone wouldn't show you much. You will need much more than that.

We replaced the DEC board and an AGFA tech hooked his antiquated laptop up to machine and input the parameters since the DEC board was blank. I, too, feel it is a firmware issue and I think it's very possible our tech missed something. Yes, we did swap the two SDM boards at our techs recommendation and nothing changed. Which chip is the parameter chip? I counted 10 chips that can be removed, 6 of which are the same size. The numbers on the chips are as follows:
(the next 6 are 28mm square)
R00015-1
R00012-1
R00013-3
R00014-3
R00010-1
R00011-2
R000126-2 (16 mm square)
IRR47177A-2.2 (23 mm square)
R00043-1 (11 mm x 13 mm)
R00042-1 (11 mm x 13 mm)

We do not have a wiring diag or service manual since the tech keeps that to himself.

Thanks for your help!

Van,

You can try and replace chips, but I fine that in most cases it just makes matters worse. Was the Tech that installed the new
Dec bd. from AGFA?

The error 3 problem could be caused by the cutter home sensor switch. Theses switches are notorious for bounch. You may need to get a replcement.

The issue with 1 inch of job showing up on next piece of film, could be your BOL not set correctly.

Your flapper error could be motor going.

I will sent you a private message with my phone number so we can talk more about these issues. We do have FE's in
in your locations.

STSTech

STS Tech,

Agree.OK. I will let you work with VAN with 1 suggestion: Let's think simple. I suggest to make sure the parameters in DEC and DSP are OK. Definitely, I see the BOL parameter problem, Feed Parameter Problem, Carriage Parameter problem.As far as I understood he didn't have these Errors before power surge and I do not feel the Power surge caused the Cutter Sensor to be burnt out. There is no reason to lead and confuse a Non-Tech person who doesn't have the basic diagnostic knowledge to consider all possibilities and feed him with what we might consider as a Tech. Take him through the process slowly. Otherwise, he will get confused, frustrated and can't follow your instructions. This will cause human error which will cost him more damages to the machine. Good Luck.

Farshad,

I agree with you to keep it simple. The simplest solution to this problem is for the Van to call the company that installed this Dec bd. and tell them it does not work. Did the FE check for proper operation of Avantra once board was installed?

You and I both own our business, and I know we would not allow something like this to happen.

STSTech

Van,
I just noticed you are in Alabama. Take Ron's advise, but with one suggestion again. Ask him to come to your site to get all the problems fixed with your machine. He lives in US, but I live in Canada . Even if you correct some of the Parameters the BOL and some other issues has to be aligned by an Experienced TECH like RON from STSTECH. I am sure the Company who installed the DEC board can't fix the problem.

I talked to Ron and he put me in contact with Doug Stewart from STS Technical Services Atlanta. He was here in no-time and he found the firmware or parameters installed by other tech was outdated. He updated the software in dec board and wrestled with flapper belt. These guys are very knowledgeable and have the right diagnostic equipment to fix it right. I am now up and running.
Thanks. Now I can stop pulling my hair out everyday keep what I have left.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back