Avantra 44 Line in image

We are using an avantra 44s and just recently there is a line imaged in the film. See attached photos. it is fairly straight but under magnification it appears to be wavy and gets erratic at the end of the film. It is not a scratch there is no mark on the emulsion of the film. Any ideas what would be causing this?

Attachments

• photo5464.JPG
    photo5464.JPG
    269.1 KB · Views: 197
  • photo5465.JPG
    photo5465.JPG
    529.2 KB · Views: 220
  • photo5466.JPG
    photo5466.JPG
    681.7 KB · Views: 210
Since the line is clear (non imaged), then the laser ray is blocked or deflected somewhere along its' path.
I would start by cleaning all reflecting surfaces along the light path.

Since the line is clear (non imaged), then the laser ray is blocked or deflected somewhere along its' path.
I would start by cleaning all reflecting surfaces along the light path.

Solved thanks you rock Repro_pro!!!! I removed the brushes that enclose the laser, and on one of the brushes was a 2.5" long hair. This hair presumably from the brush itself, was being dragged across the film and blocking the laser beam hitting the film causing the line. Now we have some pinholes in the film due to the opening up drum unit. Hopefully the vacuum system will get rid of the dust eventually. But at least there is no line on the film.

the dust issue can be minimized by using a painters tac rag on a stick ( a cutting stick works well) or get some of those Swifter dry mop kinda thingys to clean the inside of the drum after you open it . . . been using that ever since we got drum imagesetters - helped us a ton.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back