Banding on vignettes - KM5501 - Embedded Fiery

natty

Hi All,

Am having issues with banding in vignettes on a 5501...

I have tried turning off the profiles which helps a bit but doesn't fix it...

I have rasterised the image and this helps a bit also but doesn't eliminate it...

Any thoughts ???

No i don't have your tip book (but i would like a copy)

Don't know what you mean by offset adjustment (i have only had this machine for about 4 weeks just still learning)

Thanks...

Good luck Natty, we have had five digital presses and they all suffer with banding in the vignettes, you can minimise it though by trying different profiles or adding a little noise to the image.

I'm having the same problems on a Oce CS655, (same engine) does anybody know if a standalone RIP either a CREO or Fiery cures these problems?

If you guys are trying to beat banding with profiles and noise then you are getting lucky to get anything at all. Banding is a function of line screen over resolution. How long or large is the area that is banding? A gradient I assume (vignette is a little vague)? The problem with these digital presses (I'm running a KM6501 right now) is that they run a very high line screen with not that high of a resolution. This kills your levels of gray. I may be running a 200 line screen but my drop shadows and gradients are very poor. Depending on what RIP controls you have the only thing you can do, with a traditional dot, is turn the line screen down. I can go from 200 to 150 and the banding lessens, but the pictures grain up a little too. Not bad though, 150 was the standard for a lot of offset for many years. If you can do that, it will help a little.

I have a 6501, and yes it does band as well. I have been able to fix most of my issues with adding noise, but it has to be the right noise. I always use monochromatic, it works the best, also if the gradient goes out to white you should adjust it so that it doesn't, make it end at like 2% instead - you can mess with the number but it sometimes helps.

As with other comments on this subject it certainly does help by turning off profiles and turning a illustrator / indesign gradient into a Photoshop Tiff (but this is not always a option). So this must be the RIP interpretating the data which you are sending?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back