Baum 714 Problems!

AP90

Hey guys, I have a Baum 714 that has been flawless up until yesterday. I started folding a job and kept having back ups on the conveyor belt. Figured out that the belts are not speeding up when the machine is sped up. They are now just moving at a constant speed, and way to slow of a speed to get any production out of it. Is there some adjustments I can make on the belts to make sure they are tight or anything? When its running, I can pull the belts down so they speed up, so its not that the gears aren't engaging. I tried looking at the manual, but it doesn't even have a troubleshooting section to it. Id appreciate any help guys. Its a pretty popular folder so I figured someone else might have had this problem before.

We don't have a Baum (we use MBO), but, sounds like your belts just need to be replaced. Check the underside of the belts. They will get smooth and glossy over time, which causes them to slip around the conveyor rollers, instead of gripping them. Those belts probably need to be replaced at least once every year or two, depending on your volume

Try putting some belt dressing on the inside of the belts.

I was going to suggest that, but, "When its running, I can pull the belts down so they speed up, so its not that the gears aren't engaging." sounds like they may be stretched, as well as worn.

Thanks for the help guys. Went out and bought some belt conditioner and gave it a good spray. That helped out. Also helped when I figured out that no one else had oiled it for a while. Gave all the shafts, bearings and gears a good soaking and wouldn't you know it, she's back to running fine. Pulled out some thick grease from one of the belt shafts and that really perked her up. I guess you sometimes get used to it just running that you forget to do the simple things sometimes.

. I guess you sometimes get used to it just running that you forget to do the simple things sometimes.

Yep, that'll happen. Your bindery equipment is just like your car. If you take care of it, it'll take care of you. Every once in a while, we'll get a slow day out back. Instead of sending them home, I have them strip, clean, and lubricate the equipment. Check parts that are wearing out, and, order replacements. Take the folder rollers off, clean all the gunk and glue off of them, and then reassemble. Pull the gates and clean them out. Clean out all the vacuum filters with the air hose, etc. I like a "clean machine". Hey, it's better than sending them home and lose a day's pay.......................

Don't forget to clean your vacuum pump air filters as well, ours heats up and trips if we don't keep it clean.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back