Calibration destroying image quality

GusG

I just discovered that when I calibrate my Xerox DC2060 (on Fiery EX2000d, calibrated with X-rite DTP32) I don't get as strong solids as when I just tell the Fiery to use the "Default Calibration".

As an example solid reds (M=100, Y=100) become a bit orange when calibrated yet they are fine with the default calibration. When I print the "Comparison Page" after calibrating the images on there look much better calibrated than default, it's just the solids that are giving me a headache.

Anyone with any ideas on this?

I just discovered that when I calibrate my Xerox DC2060 (on Fiery EX2000d, calibrated with X-rite DTP32) I don't get as strong solids as when I just tell the Fiery to use the "Default Calibration".

As an example solid reds (M=100, Y=100) become a bit orange when calibrated yet they are fine with the default calibration. When I print the "Comparison Page" after calibrating the images on there look much better calibrated than default, it's just the solids that are giving me a headache.

I would think you need to make sure the solids are spot colors and you will have no problem?
My guess is your adjusting the cymk values. the Fiery sees spots and treat tehm as you want them treated.
this is only a guess.

How about the X-rite, have you calibrated it. That might help.

How about the X-rite, have you calibrated it. That might help.

Well, my calibration strips for the X-rite are dirty so I guess that has an effect, discovered I can use my other densitometer, a DTP34 instead, that one has a nice clean calibration strip and my prints are now good.

If your solids are "modeling," then it sounds like your developer might be contaminated. I also have a 2060 with an EX2000d and an XRite DTP32 and I don't see that issue when I calibrate.

Here's another question for you: Are you calibrating just once as a global fix, or do you calibrate based on stock?

I have calibrations for 10 different stock, based on weight, glossy vs. dull and coated vs. uncoated, using the profile "output"s to discern them. Then, I have each saved as a default, so when I print, I select the paper and the driver programs the 2060 accordingly. I was told by Xerox this is the way to calibrate.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-03-26 at 11.58.50 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2012-03-26 at 11.58.50 AM.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 162
If your solids are "modeling," then it sounds like your developer might be contaminated. I also have a 2060 with an EX2000d and an XRite DTP32 and I don't see that issue when I calibrate.

Here's another question for you: Are you calibrating just once as a global fix, or do you calibrate based on stock?

I have calibrations for 10 different stock, based on weight, glossy vs. dull and coated vs. uncoated, using the profile "output"s to discern them. Then, I have each saved as a default, so when I print, I select the paper and the driver programs the 2060 accordingly. I was told by Xerox this is the way to calibrate.

I only calibrate to one stock, art matte 130 gsm, and use that for all stock because it's the stock I use for most of my printing. Considering we calibrate at least once daily, if not more, then it would be quite a task to do so many different stocks. This has worked OK, I really think the issue is the dirty calibrations strips I have for my DTP32 as things improved when I switched to the other densitometer.

I haven't had mottling in the solids but some mottling and granularity in halftones. Where I am I can't just run down to the corner shop and get a bunch of developer and I will be ordering some soon but in the meantime I got some out of other dev tanks I have and discovered that there wasn't actually so much developer in the tanks I'm using, once I topped that up I've had a remarkable quality improvement in the halftones.

Why don't you order supplies online from Xerox? You don't have to think about it - just place the order and a few days later they show up UPS and then keep a steady supply on hand.

Why calibrate so much? I really only do it every few weeks, or if I see a color shift. The 2060 is not exactly state-of-the art, but it usually stays dialed in.

Why don't you order supplies online from Xerox? You don't have to think about it - just place the order and a few days later they show up UPS and then keep a steady supply on hand.

Why calibrate so much? I really only do it every few weeks, or if I see a color shift. The 2060 is not exactly state-of-the art, but it usually stays dialed in.

I do have suppliers, just need to get the stuff ordered.

I was always told the 2060 needs daily calibration, actually that all production machines should be calibrated daily for optimal performance, some of the newer machines have built in calibration devices so do it even more often, I guess for a reason. I do sometimes see a colour shift during the course of a day and most mornings the colour is off compared to what I closed off with the evening before.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back