Can anyone ....

I removed the cd to replace the drive gear and to get the press back in time. A press repair guy told me that I needed to drop the impression cylinder to get the blanket cylinder an the impression cylinder back in time with the feed end of the press. That's when the whole mess started. The latch is exactly at 9:00 I'm still stumped that it isn't printing.

Without intending any disrespect, I will say that you are very sloppy with words. I have asked you if the PUNCH MARK is at 9 o'clock when the latch is engaged, and you answer that the LATCH is at 9:00. Look here, the PUNCH MARK and the LATCH are different things in the diagrams and in my posts. We are not going to be able to help you if you can't bring yourself to look at your machine parts and at the diagrams carefully and to read and write more carefully.

As far as I am concerned, you have not confirmed for us if YOUR machine shafts even have those PUNCH MARKS, much less informed us how they are positioned when the latch is engaged.

If you take the time to carefully study the diagrams, you should notice that by loosening appropriate screws it would possible to rotate the shafts so that the PUNCH MARKS are at different positions than those shown in the diagrams when the latches are engaged. Those would be PUNCH MARK positions at which the image transfer between the cylinders would NOT be optimal. So, if needed, by loosening those screws the shafts can be turned WHILE maintaining the latch engagements, so that the PUNCH MARK(S) will be positioned as shown in the diagrams when the latches are engaged.

Now, if you prefer that I stop writing, please feel absolutely free to say so, as I can put my time to other use.

Al

Last edited:
1. you are correct. When the latch is engaged, The 2 dots are more like 9:30 - 9:45ish.
2. I need your help.
3. I am bipolar and have a hard time concentrating.
4 where are these screws?

Last edited:
Thank you for the positive response. Let's try to move forward on this problem.

You write that:" When the latch is engaged, The 2 dots are more like 9:30 - 9:45ish."

Rephrasing what I posted, those may be shaft PUNCH MARK positions at which the image transfer between the cylinders is NOT optimal.

LET'S STOP A MOMENT TO REALIZE THAT for your particular machine, the ideal stripes may be obtained BEFORE the 9 o'clock punch mark position is reached, and that they do not both have to be off from the 9 o'clock position by the same amount. Different degree of wear in the various parts involved may result in a correct position for the punch marks that is not exactly as shown in the diagrams.

Now, from studying the diagrams, are you able to figure out that screws need to be loosened so as to allow the rotation only of each shaft,while maintaining the assembly in the latched position? If not, say so, and we can try to help you with that.

For one thing, work with the power disconnected for safety. Also, it may be that you will need to turn the press by hand to a position where the stress forces are less, so that you can make the needed moves for each shaft without hurting yourself. Work on one at a time. For each, shaft note the direction and amount of the needed move, so that when the press is put again in the position at which the latch is engaged, the punch mark will be near to what is shown in the diagram. You may need to repeat the adjustment for each one in small amounts until it is were it should be. Bear in mind that the stripes are the criteria, and that the diagrams are only a guide.

Then try the stripe tests previously described. First get the plate to blanket stripes correct. Then proceed to the blanket to impression relationship, and again proceed in small adjustment moves.

Given your bipolar condition, please read this message over several times for comprehension, and proceed slowly. I imagine that this is very challenging for you.

Comments an further input by smalloffsetpressexperts are more than welcome at any point.

Al

Re: where are these screws?

Sorry, I left out answering this. Referring again to those diagrams: for each one, there is a clearly labeled "Bolt" which causes the cylinder lever frame to squeeze around the shafts. The shafts are shown to have two opposing flat sides that permit a wrench to hold or turn the shaft inside of the cylinder lever frame. Although not clear in the diagram, the shaft probably extends beyond the cylinder lever frame so as to accommodate the wrench ( perhaps an adjustable or crescent wrench would work here).

Does this explanation work for you? Can you now understand that by loosening the "Bolt", the shaft can be turned inside of the cylinder lever frame? The shaft has an eccentric segment near each end that fits in the press frames, so that rotating the shaft moves the appropriate cylinder towards or away from the blanket cylinder and this is how the squeeze between the cylinders is regulated.

Al

It's ALIVE!!!!!!!!! The press is finally up and running. Thanks everyone here for your help. I would especially like to thank Small Press Experts for their help over the phone.
you guys ROCK!!!! Also the guys at SPE understood that I have a minor disability and was able to explain everything to me in a way that I could understand it.

I'm a Pre-Press guy but I like to venture into the press forums to see the troubleshooting and problem solving of others. Kudos to smalloffsetpressexperts AND Al Ferrari for helping this gentleman get his press back on line.

Erik

Last edited:
I'm a Pre-Press guy but I like to venture into the press forums to see the trouble shooting and problem solving of others. Kudos to smalloffsetpressexperts AND Al Ferrari for helping this gentleman get his press back on line.

Erik
Yep, those guys are cool. I also have a question for you. I'm looking to getting into wide format inkjet printing. I want to start out with a used machine until I learn what I am doing. Any thoughts?

There are a lot of other, well qualified people, here on PrintPlanet that could answer that question better. We have an Epson 9900 that we use for contract proofing but I wouldn't consider that the wide format that you're probably talking about.

Erik

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back