Can you override overprint element set in PDF to trap correctly

I had a Black + 1 PMS job. The black frame was set to overprint. Our Harlequin Rip Would not trap it correctly.

I had to open the file in Illustrator and uncheck the overprint attribute.

Is there any preflight software that can detect and fix ?

Overprint settings are right in your Enfocus Inspector window. Under Fill and Stroke the 4th Icon down. Separate commands for fill and stroke are available.

The method that Jackie mentions is manual. You have to know that there is a problem and then know where it is in order to manually select it and manually fix it.

Are you looking for an automated solution using PitStop when you mention preflight to detect and fix?

Is it only all black strokes that need to have overprint turned off? Or only black strokes that are a certain thickness? Or all black fills? Or all black text etc?

If all black elements had overprinting turned off, would you then use a RIP setting to handle this?

Stephen Marsh

It appears that if the stroke or image is set to overprint in the native file , the rip will not trap it.

Unless you open the PDF in illustrator and check these things out, The only way for me to tell is make one set of plates, put on press and see the result. You can do a preview , but our version of Harlequin is not very good. is there any software that can preflight this problem and change the attribute ?

The method that Jackie mentions is manual. You have to know that there is a problem and then know where it is in order to manually select it and manually fix it.

Are you looking for an automated solution using PitStop when you mention preflight to detect and fix?

Is it only all black strokes that need to have overprint turned off? Or only black strokes that are a certain thickness? Or all black fills? Or all black text etc?

If all black elements had overprinting turned off, would you then use a RIP setting to handle this?

Stephen Marsh

Is it only all black strokes that need to have overprint turned off? Or only black strokes that are a certain thickness? Or all black fills? Or all black text, or all black fills/strokes/text etc?

If all black objects in the file knockout, how will you handle overprinting when it is required? Or will you only remove overprints in special cases?

Stephen Marsh

It appears that if the stroke or image is set to overprint in the native file , the rip will not trap it.

Unless you open the PDF in illustrator and check these things out, The only way for me to tell is make one set of plates, put on press and see the result. You can do a preview , but our version of Harlequin is not very good. is there any software that can preflight this problem and change the attribute ?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back