Cannot Double Click To Open CS5 InDesign Files!

Criminy

Okay, so here's my dilemma: I cannot open an InDesign CS5 file over the network on my new iMac. Some ID CS5 files open fine but others give me this message:

"You may not have permission or the document may be open already."

What the??? :confused:

I've tried various ways to open these problem files (i.e. using File/Open, drag & drop over icon, double click, etc.), but to no avail. The only thing that works is if I drag the file to my desktop. Then I can open it like any other file, work on it, and resave it to the server. Trouble is, I encounter the same issue when I try to reopen the file over the network to edit it.

In every instance, I was the only person viewing the file when I tried to open it.

I see no difference in permission settings in the "Get Info" window of each file; the ones that open have the same settings as those which don't open.

Ideas? I've read what I could on the subject on other forums, but none of their "solutions" seem to help. If people are figuring it out on their own, they conveniently forget to share their solutions... HELP!

What is the machine your connecting to? Server? Standalone PC/Mac etc.. (Windows/OSX/Linux)

Sounds like a permissions problem for definite.

Not sure if this will help, but when you were double clicking a file to open, had you just launched ID? or did you close out of another file then try to open a new file? Try quitting out of ID altogether, THEN double click on the problem file. We open files across the network all the time and sometimes we have to quit out of the program and then try to open the file.

We did the most recent software update and the guys are saying it solved it. 7.02 is the version on my computer and I have not had that problem since I updated last week.

Yep, 7.02 update fixes the problem - we had the same issue. Like everything adobe, they took a tool which worked alright - adobe updater - and moved it around so that anybody who is familiar with old versions can't find it. Seriously, do they do that just to sell new books.

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone! I'm at home now, but I'll be trying each of the things you recommended tomorrow. I'll be able to answer some of the other questions posed above as well. :)

Better late than never, eh? So I've got a Windows 2000 server. My shop only has Macs, though. And only the iMacs have CS5 on them. @RickS & Kansasquaker: Version 7.02 software? Which software? Are you guys referring to Windows 7? I've tried all manner of opening the CS5 files, double-clicking, clicking and dragging over the CS5 icon, going to "FILE/OPEN/(File Name)." Nothing makes a difference.

The really odd thing is how other files, acquired from the same client and source (disk, ftp, etc.) open fine. Recently, three out of eight CS5 files could open by double-clicking! So I'm not seeing any pattern here...

This could be a permission problem or a resource file problem

Get info on the file and see if you have full read write access.
You can also unmount your server volume and reconnect using a different username and password (if you use them)

The resource file problem I mention is that the way the mac's write the resource info to a server volume. In 10.6 it is different then 10.5. If you are working in a mixed enviornment with 10.5 and 10.6 accessing the same files one or the other is not going to be able to use the files from the server. It is a "pita"

Good luck

p

Hi Criminy

How are you connecting with the server? AFP or SMB. If it's SMB you might want to turn on or off named streams (depending on your setup and the version of the OS your running) to see if you get any better results. We had a few (different) issues with SMB access and Win servers and eventually got it straightened out by turning them on for everybody. It'll mess things up if you still have 10.4 machines accessing the server though.

Mac OS X v10.5, v10.6: About named streams on SMB-mounted NAS, Mac OS X, and Windows servers; "-36" or "-50" alerts may appear

One other question just occurred to me. Do the files in question all have the .indd extension? Not that it should really matter, but it couldn't hurt to make sure they're all named with the right extension.

Good Luck
Shawn

Better late than never, eh? So I've got a Windows 2000 server. My shop only has Macs, though. And only the iMacs have CS5 on them. @RickS & Kansasquaker: Version 7.02 software? Which software? Are you guys referring to Windows 7? I've tried all manner of opening the CS5 files, double-clicking, clicking and dragging over the CS5 icon, going to "FILE/OPEN/(File Name)." Nothing makes a difference.

The really odd thing is how other files, acquired from the same client and source (disk, ftp, etc.) open fine. Recently, three out of eight CS5 files could open by double-clicking! So I'm not seeing any pattern here...

I have only had that problem when another computer had the file open. You sure nothing else has the file open? Maybe try just copying the packaged file to your computer, make the changes or whatever and update the "old" file on the server. Just a work around if you cant figure it out.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back