Cannot use Acrobat 9 extracted pdfs in Dynastrip

gumbylives

Hi, There is something buggy here. I am running Acrobat Pro 9.1 and Dynastrip 5.2.0 and it seems that if I change a pdf using pitstop or I extract a page from the pdf as a seperate file I cannot use it in Dynastrip. It basically gives me no seperations listed just COL ????
Is it a Dynastrip problem or Acrobat 9. I can do the same in Acrobat 8 with no problems.
Any help would be appreciated.
cheers
Gumby

Gum - I believe you may have answered your own question, if you can do the work in acrobat 8, but not 9, then its acrobat that may be giving you the headache, or more than likely dynastrip needs to be updated to work with acrobat 9.

It's the latter - Dynastrip is not fully compliant with the PDF standard.

In PDF 1.5 (Acrobat 6!!!), a feature was added to PDF that would enable greater compression. It wasn't used by default (though always available as an option) in Acrobat 6-8. In Acrobat 9, we figured that enough time had passed and enough systems supported the feature that we enabled it by default when writing out any/all PDFs.

So what you are seeing is Dynastrip's lack of support for that feature :(. Contact them and get them to fix their non-compliance!

It's called "object streams" (ISO 32000-1, Section 7.5.7) and there is a related feature called "xref streams" (ISO 32000-1, Section 7.5.8).

I'm on Dyna 4.5.2. I have to tread carefully. We are not on an APPE RIP yet. Incoming PDFs I initially look to see what the creator app/level is. If it's Acro 9, I open in 9, and look at transparency with Transparency Flattener; under Print Production Toolbar. There's a button for looking at transparency-affected areas. After I look at it, I flatten carefully. I invariably then have to place this Saved As PDF into Indy CS3, and reExport to 1.6 Compatability.
This PDF is usually accepted by Dynastrip. It's a bit tedious, but doesn't take too long, (depending how many you get, of course...ours are only a few incoming ads per day).
It's just what works for me, but you don't sound as though you're faring much better in v5.

Gumby,
Here's a work around for you.

Open the PDF file in Acrobat, go in the “File” menu, choose “Export”, then “PDF/X” and in this case, the new PDF file will work.

Also... you may want to make sure you're upgraded to the latest Dynastrip (5.3) this will help with direct support for CS4 files as well. Also, this issue is not present in our inpO2 Product line since it's native inside of Acrobat. Not that will help you now, but it may be good for you to know.

Our Development team is aware of the problem and we are looking at it for future maintenance or upgrade releases. It's important to us to make sure we're compatible with latest PDFs out there.

If you have any other questions or issues, feel free to write our technical support directly at [email protected].

I hope this helps!
Michael Reiher
Director of Sales and Marketing
Dynagram

Alternate test with Impostrip Solo (certified Acrobat 9)

Alternate test with Impostrip Solo (certified Acrobat 9)

Gumby,

You might run a separate test with Impostrip Solo.
Our solution includes hot folder automation, versioning, dynamic templates AND Client-Server.
It is certified under Acrobat 7.03+, 8.1+ and 9.0+ (PDF 1.3 to 1.7)
In fact, we have released CS4 support last year for our extensive customer base.

You can get a complete version to test for FREE on our Web site:
DEMO Request Form

We also offer competive upgrades for the same price it would cost you to upgrade to the latest version of what you have, which might not work in 9.+

Hope this helps more.
Best,

Ray Duval
Ultimate Technographics Inc.
Imposition leaders for over 20 years

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back