Canon 5100 series

xit791

Looking to upgrade from my IR color 3200...been looking at docucolor 5200/6000...
Now my Canon rep wants me to look at the IR color 5100 (85??)...
Anybody have any input into the Canon 5100 machines?

Thanks.

it looks like a speed up 3200. I never considered it seriously. mostly because I did not like the 3200.

Couple of questions

Are your customers happy with the 3200 quality

Current vs Projected monthly volume?

The 5185 has good but not great quality. Decent paper handling capability and a reasonable price.

It is still asian fast plastic and if you're OK with that then it's worthy of consideration pending the above two questions

So it's just a souped up 3200? I would like something with better quality than the 3200.
Volume is about 10k per month color. I run most b&w on a ir 7200.

Take a look at the K-M products, NOT the Biz Hub junk the 50 and 65 ppm units. The Xerox 252 I'm hearing good things about.

I'd take a look at the 5185 if for no other reason then to rule it out.

the comment about asain fast plastic got me thinking. is xerox made in the usa how about the others.

sorry for the hijack

the comment about asain fast plastic got me thinking. is xerox made in the usa how about the others.

sorry for the hijack

My 8000AP was manufactured by Fuji.... what does that tell you.

The Asian comment doesn't hold much water with me, BUT, the fast plastic does. That would be referring to the amount of plastic parts vs metal in the machine. Believe me it does make a difference, Ricoh's plastic duplex tray on my MP9000 wears out every 3 million like clock work. I have gone through 3 now.

Iwould look at the Ricoh MPC6000 - MPC7500 with a rip. I feel quality output is better than the 5185 Canon.

I guess my question is what copy machines are made in the US? It will sway my next copy purchase.

My Canon rep used to preach quality / reliability. I notice a definite move in his manner of speaking toward economy when he mentioned the 5185. I saw a picture of it and it looks exactly like the 3200. Not where I want to be in the next several years.

He also wants me to look at a machine that has great quality but only prints 14 ppm text and is even slower on heavy paper. Says he has a customer who leaves the machine running when leaves for the day and watches it run from home on his Blackberry or something. Just the type of machine I want! Not!!!

My Canon rep used to preach quality / reliability. I notice a definite move in his manner of speaking toward economy when he mentioned the 5185. I saw a picture of it and it looks exactly like the 3200. Not where I want to be in the next several years.

He also wants me to look at a machine that has great quality but only prints 14 ppm text and is even slower on heavy paper. Says he has a customer who leaves the machine running when leaves for the day and watches it run from home on his Blackberry or something. Just the type of machine I want! Not!!!

The Canon ImagePress C-1 delivers smoking quality. It uses a lot of the technology that is in the 7000VP. That story regarding the customer is true BTW and I know personally of several printers who let the C-1 run unattended. You load it up, get the quality right and let it run.

You have to decide if you can live with 14PPM. Quality is the driver for this machine.

I guess my question is what copy machines are made in the US? It will sway my next copy purchase.

it is probably very difficult to find a machine that is made 100% in one single country ... with globalization, you have parts made in China, UK, Brazil, Mexico, US, Japan, Phillipines, etc, etc.

ask then, what company is founded and has headquarters in the U.S. ... I know Xerox is.

5185 input

5185 input

Looking to upgrade from my IR color 3200...been looking at docucolor 5200/6000...
Now my Canon rep wants me to look at the IR color 5100 (85??)...
Anybody have any input into the Canon 5100 machines?

Thanks.

When the the 5100 series was 1st introduced, CanonUSA had to put out a number of special software techs into the field. The color was not stable, every 30-40 prints customer saw shift. The Delta E is higher than the IR3200. Also look at the Fusing section, it seem to be not as robust as the old IR3200. 140Lb index is the max. Matte Finish. Street price is cheap. $16-20K with Embedded rip. Main different on 5180 vs 5185...Scanner update that's about it.

As for the DC252 much better delta E, Will handle 110 Cover but only via Stack By Pass. Xerox has sold over 22,000 DC2000 Family...So that must mean something.. Very Popular, Solid Light Production Machine. Built by Fuji - Japan

Do not even consider the C1, It's SLOW. 80ib Cover 11 x 17 3-4 PPM. You must take Cover or Coated stock from the External paper deck. The Unit slows down to pull out of the LCT by 15%. Refer to the Canon C1 CED. It's all there. 140ib Index Max. Toner yield is lousy.

Cheers

When the the 5100 series was 1st introduced, CanonUSA had to put out a number of special software techs into the field. The color was not stable, every 30-40 prints customer saw shift. The Delta E is higher than the IR3200. Also look at the Fusing section, it seem to be not as robust as the old IR3200. 140Lb index is the max. Matte Finish. Street price is cheap. $16-20K with Embedded rip. Main different on 5180 vs 5185...Scanner update that's about it.

As for the DC252 much better delta E, Will handle 110 Cover but only via Stack By Pass. Xerox has sold over 22,000 DC2000 Family...So that must mean something.. Very Popular, Solid Light Production Machine. Built by Fuji - Japan

Do not even consider the C1, It's SLOW. 80ib Cover 11 x 17 3-4 PPM. You must take Cover or Coated stock from the External paper deck. The Unit slows down to pull out of the LCT by 15%. Refer to the Canon C1 CED. It's all there. 140ib Index Max. Toner yield is lousy.

Cheers

Agree with most of what you say. However I defy you to show a higher quality output at ANY price or speed with toner based technology

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back