Can't change black page to spot black

pworden

I'm using Pitstop Pro 10 on black-only PDF pages from Quark 6.5. I can get all text and vector art to change to my created Spot Black using Remap channel global action, but the images do not change (they are definitely grayscale on the black separation). I tried using an action but all the areas that should be 0% such as just a white background area behind type - change to a light percentage of spot and all solid areas are around 80%. Can't get this to work. Any advice?

Sample file

Sample file

Here is a sample page. Let me know what you think - thank you!

Attachments

• Btrp97_40CX 14.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 242
Can you PM me with your email address please, I have something to send you to test.

I'm using Pitstop Pro 10 on black-only PDF pages from Quark 6.5. I can get all text and vector art to change to my created Spot Black using Remap channel global action, but the images do not change (they are definitely grayscale on the black separation). I tried using an action but all the areas that should be 0% such as just a white background area behind type - change to a light percentage of spot and all solid areas are around 80%. Can't get this to work. Any advice?

I am not a graphics person but rather an operator. When I bring this PDf into Illustrator I see a white back ground behind your type.
When you print as Black the programs see white as a chosen color so it will create a dot pattern to both the backround white and the black as that is what you have asked it to do. I get the same result. however if in illustrator I remove the white text box area I get 100% Black.
We have refered to these white areas as remnents as they are indeed an image though not intended.
It took quite a while to convince our graphics that the issue was somthing they were creating and not a machine or operator issue but eventualy they figured out that it had something to do with there text box settings.
Our printers and programs that drive them are great tools but if the art is not properly created they are limited.
On a machine end the quick fix is to open in Ilustrator, veiw grid and locate and delete the white areas.
Sorry i can not help with the composition program settings to eliminate the problem at its source but I am sure that someone can chime in on that

Best way was the existing Global change 'Convert to color space' mapping all colors to separation and then specifying the spot color, with the option to force grey to keep intensity turned on.

We went down a customised action list first but the GC is better and easier

To F.I.I'mGoingFishing: Thanks for checking those details. I agree and know there's a white box there, but unfortunately, when we get files like this they are from a customer using a wide range of programs, old and new, and it's just not practical for us to open up each page and edit it, not to mention the liability with that. So I was looking to find a one-step solution, which the Enfocus ninja provided! A couple, in fact. If you have Pitstop, either a global change or action will do it. Let me know if you need the specific steps! Love Pitstop - can't always figure it out as quick as I'd like, but I blame that on the fumes in here :)

To Anyone Else Interested: The best, quickest fix is to use a Global Change - Convert to Color Space.
Choose "Convert all colors to a certain color space.";
Convert all colors to:
"Separation"
then choose the desired separation.
Important - Check "Force gray to keep same intensity" - Works great!

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back