Carpet in Prepress?

prepressdork

My employer is considering putting carpet in a portion of our prepress department. My primary concern is static buildup. We are able to maintain adequate humidity (45-55%) without carpet but I wonder if carpet will create issues for us. Does anyone else have carpet in their prepress department? Have you experienced any issues (besides dirty shoes) with having carpet?

Thank you in advance,
pd

We don't have carpet, but I doubt static would be an issue with those humidity levels. I googled it and 40-50% is high enough to avoid static discharges.

Carpet in half (workstations & Kongsberg table), linoleum tile in other half (servers, platemaking, proofing) here. No added humidity and also no issues static issues. Forced hot air heat.

And yes carpet is impossible to keep clean especially with people tracking in ink & dirt from production floor.

We've got linoleum in the walkways, and carpet at the workstations. The room is less than a year old and the carpet already looks crappy, and we have metal-framed doors in and out so we constantly get shocked.

We had carpet in ours at one time . .. not a lot of static issues but dirt and dust were issues and like mentioned above it started looking really bad . . so we made it a press check area and moved the pre press . . . :)

We've got linoleum in the walkways, and carpet at the workstations. The room is less than a year old and the carpet already looks crappy, and we have metal-framed doors in and out so we constantly get shocked.

I get a shock whenever I enter prepress - carpet or not ;-)

Sorry couldn't resist.

i personally thought carpet and desktop systems did not mix due to the dust untill my employer descided the entire floor needed carpet, there no issues with having carpet

It can depend on the layout of the shop. Sometimes the prepress area is combined, having carpet is probably not a good idea where the processing equipment is and there are going to be spills from mixing or cleaning. Other places have the “front end” separated from the “back end” of the prepress processes.

Stephen Marsh

We all got new chairs, too! And 3 of us got new 27" iMacs this year. Jealous much?

Im my Prepress department, I've purchased 5 27" iMacs this last year... Plus added an additional 24" widescreen as a 2nd display for each system.
They all love the visual real estate!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back