CASS and Presort - Looking for solution recommendations.

hotgfx

Hello everyone,

I hope this is the right forum for my inquiries about CASS and Presort.

I'm an industry consultant specializing in VDP. A client who has been producing VDP postcards recently asked me to look into both CASS and Presort software packages as they want to look at doing the mailing work in-house (they use a 3rd party mailhouse to do list processing for CASS and Presort now).

I know a bit (I'm by no means an expert, though) about CASS and Presort but was looking for some advice from users out there on some packages to take a look at. My client wants to utilize his .NET developers and add this CASS and Presort capability to his custom developed Web to Print storefront that currently accepts customer VDP orders. So we are looking for Server-based software with .NET API's that can be installed in a clustered environment.

The .NET interface should allow for full automation of the CASS and Presort process including making the Mail.dat file, postage statements, and tray tags available for download. If there was a way to query what the bad addresses were (which we may then allow people to "fix" online or at least view them), that would be excellent as well.

Speed is quite important. My client has a handful of rather large customers on his system now but has plans to hire a whole new digital sales team to signup new customers. The IT director wants to make sure that the solution can be scaled to handle some pretty high loads - say 20 lists, each at 250,000 records concurrently processed. Or, 100 lists at 5,000 records average each. Assuming that there is some queuing going on, concurrent processing in a load balanced environment across multiple cores/CPUs/servers is interesting.

In my limited research, I've seen that BCC looks to be a popular option in the industry for small to mid-level workflows but does it have the .NET API's and does it scale like we need it to? I was also quite interested in the CODE-1 Plus and Mailstream Plus solutions for this. Does anyone have any experience with those packages? Satori also seems to be another standout but how powerful is their server technology?

Further, I was thinking about possibly recommending a phased implementation for my client and suggest that a Phase 1 be to implement just the CASS solution first. This first phase would ensure that his workflow is dealing with clean, deduped, and valid address data . This is very desirable as it allows him to provide accurate pricing and list counts at order time to customers that upload lists to his Web to Print interface when ordering an item as well as validate single entry addresses that customers enter for shipping/billing.

If we chose a Phase 1 CASS-only implementation, is there then a "poor-mans" Presort algorithm (like simple sort on ZIP, ZIP+4, or ZIP+4+DP) we could utilize to that CASS processed data in lieu of running it through a full PAVE certified Presort package in order to get some level of discount on standard and first class mail? What, then, would be the added benefit of implementing full PAVE Presort as a Phase 2? If we can get 90% of where he wants to be without PAVE (remember - he will have huge cost savings by not farming this work out to a mailhouse), we will almost certainly go this phased approach.

Sorry for all the questions but thanks in advance for any info anyone can provide!

John

Re: CASS and Presort - Looking for solution recommendations.

I have worked with BCC, PostalSoft and Group 1. If you would like to talk about these please let me know. I would also be interested in talking with you. We are a mail house and print color postcards. I am also looking for a work flow that would include presort and CASS but I would like to be able to automate the job submission for "like" size postcards printed on an HP Indigo.

Thanks
David Weaver
david at metropresort dot com

Edited by: David Weaver on Jul 18, 2008 4:14 PM

mailers software at www.melissadata.com I think I saw somewhere they have api for pluging into other code. they might have something you could work with. seems to me if your in a windows environment you could write anything that would pull a file from a hot folder and call the api process it and put it in the next hot folder.

John,

Our company currently uses Mail Manager 2010 from BCC and it a great program to work with. If you go with BCC you will want to get TaskMaster and Job Manager ( We don't use these features ). The combination of the two, allow for complete hands off automation. If you want to know more about what Mail Manager can do, I would talk to them.

In regards to your processing needs. What ever solution you end up with, I would recommend a RAM Disk (iRam) from BCC or other such RAM Disk technologies. The CASS Cycle L; which has DPV processing; is very time consuming and IO intense due to accessing the CASS and DPV database. Adding a RAM Disk from BCC reduced CASS timeby up to 75 percent.

One other thing to concern yourself with is MOVE Update. Any mail receiving Presorted or Automation discount will need to have the addresses meet MOVE Update for mail that drops November 23, 2008 or later. The easiest method to meet MOVE Update is NCOA, which BCC offers.

Yes, there are ways to perform your own presort but it requires detailed information from the USPS DMM Manual. The time involved in doing it yourself compared to finding a solution is probably not worth it. In addition to possibly sorting the job wrong and then you have to pay additional money to mail the job.

Brian (Who doesn't work for BCC)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back