CCCTV in the workplace

ajr

We have had CCTV installed in our workplace, supposedly for security. The cameras are pointing at us not the exits etc. Our MD watches them all day and records everything. Everyones not very happy, not that we have anything to hide, but we feel very uncomfortable with it. Has anyone else had them installed and does anyone know how the law stands on this. BTW I am in the UK.

Thanks

A

Big brother seems to be becoming the new UK stereotype. I'm from the US and if my employer did this to me I'd be seeking other employment. In the mean time I'd be getting covering the lens somehow. Taping paper over it? Wrap it in aluminum foil? Spray some super77 on the glass/plastic protector box. It shows a complete and total lack of trust between employer and employee which will only lead to maliciousness and paranoia in the workplace thus reducing productivity. This sounds like my expectations of working in North Korea. If external security is the concern implement a sound security policy, get high tech security doors and install external cameras.

I say all of this with the assumption you don't work in a mint or currency/passport/etc. printing facility. In which case I would think even more extreme measures of security would be necessary.

insecurity camera

insecurity camera

Its not a good situation, there are any number of preferable and far less intrusive ways to keep tabs on staff.. any management with even the slightest idea with regards to ppl skills and an understanding of workplace relations would never take this step. For example on presses a simple log book, noting shift hours, total runs, make ready, maintenance details and general comments, as well as the type of job done (scaled 1 to 10) as a written record.

My solution, turn the cameras around to the exits and entry points, security starts here, and see what they do. Talk to management and tell them that this situation is uncomfortable and not warranted(has there been anything to start this up?? missing stock, chems, paper or machinery??) and will DEFINATELY have a negative effect on productivity... ask them if they have ever worked under close supervision, how difficult and at times unnerving it can be...mistakes WILL be made, its not e question of when...

Finally... an example of your situation and a uniquely........australian....... answer to the situation. Exactly the same thing happened at a print shop a good mate of mine works at, "security" cameras for no apparent reason, ie production was good, nothing had gone missing, staff morale was good...the installation of cameras made everyone uncomfortable and the "security" claim was made redundant by the use of camera evidence to question length of smoke breaks, coffee consumed, make ready times etc..

So what my mate did was begin to wash up wearing nothing but his steel caps and gloves!! nothing was said, and they have not questioned him since re the aformentioned "problems", and no reprimand was issued for "incorrect garment" lol :)

Just be real real careful of where things hang...and dripping chemicals :)

I can understand both sides, thats why I have not installed cameras in my shop. I was going to put 2 outside and 2 inside. one on the front counter and door for security and one on the shop area just incase some idiots decide to break in and trash the place. I heard a horror story about a shop once that a disgruntled employee broke in started up a press at full speed and started throwing things into the press. I guess you just have to trust you have good insurance.

I see management's side of this too, but think that the issues that staff have could be erased or minimised by simple communication between staff and management! I have heard several "disgruntled employee" horror stories too, and know that a very expensive piece of capital investment can be destroyed literally in seconds...

In a related security issue, my father related a story to me of a sydney printer many years ago who had given a trusted employee a key to premises, as this man was happy to load up on overtime and start early... the problem with this was that this man felt that a printing press was, literally, a license to print money... and when he was caught with counterfeit bills the federal police destroyed every machine in the factory as by law any press or related machinery used to produce counterfeit cash must be rendered inoperable... it ruined the owner, and possibly could have been avoided with cctv's to monitor activity...

You would think there would be some way for an employer to avoid losing a press when an employee or buglar broke in and started printing money. cut off the hands of the offender not the innocent.

That was a long time ago, some time in the 70s... and i would think that the law has been since changed, but thats the way the federal police rolled back then...

Bumping....
clear.gif

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back