Challenge Titan 200

gwt

Hi all. Reading on these threads has been helpful over the years.
I own a small but busy print shop.
I currently have a Mandelli 30" cutter that has seen better days.
I am looking to get a used cutter to replace it.
I don't necessarily need a cutter that big as I rarely cut full size stock
and can just pay my paper company to do so if need be.
Since space is at a premium in my shop a smaller cutter would help free some room as well.

Key things I'm looking for are accuracy and efficiency. Being able to cut large lifts accurately is key.
Started out looking for a Polar 58 EM but the ones I've found have been a bit pricey.
Want to consider some other options including the Challenge Titan 200 or 230.
I have some knowledge of the Challenge 305 but not the Titan models.
Does anyone have any experience with these that they could recommend or discourage me on them?
It would spend a few hours every day cutting so it would need to be durable.

Thank you for any tips you can offer!!

The Titan 200 and Titan 230 are both very nice cutters for the amount of cutting you state you will be performing. The Titan 200 has been in production since 1997, so they are very widely used in digital in-plants and copy centers.

The Titan 230 was introduced in 2008 to cover the larger digital sheet sizes, and to enhance production cutting. It features a much larger work surface area, the light beams are elevated, and a larger operating width.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us!

-Alex

Titan 200

Titan 200

We use the Challenge Titan 200, it is great for our size. We mainly use 8.5x 11, and also 11x17 sheets.We have had no problems with it.
The safety shield is a hassle, opening and closing every cut.....but safety first!!!:)

The tilt-shield safety device is less expensive than the light-beam safety curtains. If a shop will be doing any kind of production cutting, we highly recommend light-beams.

Thank you guys for the advice, the Challenge Titan appears to be the best match of productivity and cost for my shop.

Alex, since I will be looking at used cutters if I end up getting one with a safety shield can I convert to light beam or do I need to find it with light beams installed?
Also I unfortunately do not have loading doors meaning to get in my shop I likely need to take the table out - is that a complicated process that should involve a tech? Does Challenge have techs in the New England area?

Thank you

My only advice on this one is spend as much money as you can on a cutter. This is where quality finishing starts. Plenty of Challenge knives out there running. Do you have a service rep close to you? This should be a consideration. It will break down and a knife is definitely a production machine in a print shop that needs to be able to produce work.

Good luck,

I'll add my 2 cents worth. Challenge makes a good knife. There are alot of them out there and alot of companies around the US that can service them which as you know is half the battle when buying equipment. We have owned several challenge cutters 30.5" and have always been happy with them. good Luck.

Thank you for the positive posts! It seems that our 140 years of excellence in this industry means something!

You can convert a tilt-shield machine into a light-beam machine with a kit. Make sure you have your serial number handy when calling a local Challenge dealer. The removal and reinstallation of the table is not overly complicated, but care must be taken during this process, and you will need to spend some time ensuring you reinstalled and squared it properly. Best to leave that to trained personnel if you've never done it yourself.

During these difficult economic times, it becomes even more important to study your purchases wisely. We have seen a steadily-growing influx of products from overseas with the promise of high-quality and low price, but cannot deliver on these hollow promises. Knowledgeable local technical support will help you when your product needs immediate repairs, and be less costly. Resale value will aid in drastically lowering your total cost of ownership (many of these knock-offs are next-to-worthless within a few months).

Good luck!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back