Challenger chattering

mikekir

Older hydraulic clamp Challenger is chattering after the cut stroke, on the retract stroke of the cutter and clamp. Cylinders have just been overhauled, fluid level ok. Both gauges read correct pressures, 600 for clamp, 1500 for cutter. Cycles function properly, just this noisy chattering after a few cuts, and the operator says the system seems to overheat.

Chattering would indicate either a relay or solenoid going bad or possibly a problem with the sequence valves in the hydraulic manifold. You need to see if can determine where the noise is coming from.

What is the model number?

Challenge solenoids

Challenge solenoids

Thanks for the reply, what I learn on this one will help with others. I can't find the file on this one, I 'put it in a safe place'. I do have these pics. In the back one is a black solenoid at the top of the picture that fits loosely on the post, it's not original. I'll check the terminal strip to see if the problem is electric. Otherwise, I have to fold up to get behind the machine with a stethoscope, no fun these days.
I'm just the local 'fixer' on this thing. Every time the printer calls in other help they break the machine worse, or undo hoses and mark them cryptically. I got the manual, finally, so at least I could get the hoses back right.

Attachments

• IMG_1208.JPG
    IMG_1208.JPG
    824 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_1209.JPG
    IMG_1209.JPG
    943 KB · Views: 190

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back