Chem Free / Dev Free / Low Chem Violet Plate Costs

hagar

Has anyone been given an indication of the costs of the new violet chem free plates in comparison to existing violet plate costs?

Are most of you peeps looking to upgrade fairly soon after the plates actually come out

Might as well assume they will be higher than chemical violet, chemical thermal and chemical free thermal*. Reasons:
Recover R&D costs
Recover new manufacturing technique implementation costs
Cover lost profits from chemical sales
*Faster exposure
*[Expected] longer run length

I'm interested in the dollars and cents point from the maintenance perspective on whatever post imaging processor is attached. The biggest question I have floating around in my head is non-safe light exposure which will almost certainly require some kind of wash process. Also, If it doesn't require a chemical post-imaging process then will the plate be compatible with already installed violet imagesetters?

Might as well assume they will be higher than chemical violet, chemical thermal and chemical free thermal*. Reasons:
Recover R&D costs - agree
Recover new manufacturing technique implementation costs - agree
Cover lost profits from chemical sales - agree
*Faster exposure - don't agree, chem/process-free plates aren't automatically faster
*[Expected] longer run length - not seen any evidence that this is a selling point of chem/process free and not seen it claimed on any literature

All types of non-safe light plates need some kind of post-exposure treatment which makes the whole thing similar to what's in place now albeit without the developer.

You'll either replace the processor with some kind of wash unit or, in the case of the Fuji Pro-V, some kind of conversion kit is being talked about for some existing processors.

The Pro-V still needs preheat and chilling so from the POV of energy consumption there isn't much difference between that and copnventional processing. The water useage is lower i believe.

"If it doesn't require a chemical post-imaging process then will the plate be compatible with already installed violet imagesetters?" The idea is to make the plates compatible with existing imaging devices. Originally the Pro-V was designed to need more power but this has been changed.

Is visible-light chem-free better than thermal chem/process-free? Maybe not, and maybe ultimately the future is thermal as that's where the true process-free options are, but for those of us with visible light solutions it's a great improvement.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back